brand new E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
brand new E500

Hello MBforum.

I just bought myself a 2005 E500 and had a few questions.

First off, it says auxiliary on the head unit but no matter how much i looked i could not find an auxiliary output. Where is it? It has separate buttons for CDC (the changer under the little flip up panel) and the regular CD and auxiliary.

Second off, are there any cool trick to know? On these forums I found the press the circulation button and it will close all the windows/sunroof and then open to previous position when you hold it again but that's about it.

Third, what is the point of the suspension button? Below the shifter, there are two buttons for this. One is for sport1/sport2 which from my understanding tightens the suspension and maybe lowers the car? (dunno about lowering, anyone know?) What does raising the car do? Is it just for raising clearance under the car or is there more to it?

Also, I've noticed many people talk about lowering the car using either lowering links or taking it to the dealer and they will lower it. Will it just sit lower or will pressing the suspension button do more?

Lastly are there any easy mods to do to make the car look even nicer? It's my first Benz and I couldn't be happier but around here benzes are plenty and I want mine to stand out. I'm probably not going to do any engine mods since I still have a year left on the extended warranty (courtesy of the previous owner).
For example, right now the car is on 17's which are fairly lame even though they perform nice. I've driven a different e500 on 20's and the handling felt a bit off. What's the optimal rim size?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SashaRussian; 07-20-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
All your questions have been asked before. Please don't be lazy and STFF.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

2004 E500 4matic Fully Loaded Everything!!!
+1
Read the MANUAL!!! If you don't have time to read the manual...you don't have time to drive the car. There is important info that you would like to know in there. Plus it will answer all your questions.

As for mods. use the search button.
I don't mind helping others. I am new to this forum, but not to many others, car related and hobby related. I must say that I don't like to see newbs flamed...but if you admit to being that lazy....you shouldn't own a Mercedes.

We are a special group of people. Not a bunch of damn idiots. We take pride in what we own, how we maintain it, and helping out others when they need it. Not just because they are too lazy to look.

You found the site....now find the answers.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
When I search for mods, most of them are engine mods and such. As i said, I'm looking for mostly aesthetic mods.

Also, in the time it took you to write that post, you could have instead helped out. But I hope being a douche works out for you.

Also, i've looked through the whole W211 forum (only 5 pages?) and could not find many answers... anyone who can help, it will be much appreciated

Last edited by SashaRussian; 07-20-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
1 clear turn signals on the front
2 ang pedals and left foot rest
3 green airfilters
4 find yourself a wooden steering wheel
5 illuminated door sills
6 chrome bezels for the front lights (not the rear as they look like crap)
7 chrome mirror covers (do not add chrome door handle covers)
8 find yourself a set of newer style 17 inch wheels
9 thissel mats

Aux input is in the glove box

Issues....

1 back the car and turn at same time...hear grumbling? Front diff is going
2 if when you slow to about a 1000 rpm and then hit the gas and the car stumbles... You have the tranny issue...dealer will want to flush..works some times..if not..some kind of solenoid needs to be replaced...or finally they put a whole new tranny in.
3 watch for issues of lowering and raising via the system switch in the car... Chaffed wires cause failure
4 air shocks can fail...look for oil leaks around shocks (3 have failed on mine)
5 musty smell is caused by cabin air filter can be found under hood...easy self replace
6 battery light comes on.... If main battery is less than 2 years old... Check the secondary battery (don't pay $$$$$ for the merc... I used the matching motorcycle battery from wall mart)

Thoughts....

1 don't waste your time lowering the car....it isnt an AMG ...just enjoy
2 I should mention that the diff comment is for the 4matic
3 these cars have soft front ends...ball joints and other components fail easily
4 Use merc brake pads and oil filters...
5 u have no dipstick...request from your dealer at oil change to remove oil from the oil pan...not extraction from the top
6 expect 12 in the city and maybe 20 on why
7 if u check the threads..u can find a way to reset the "learned driving style" of the car...it will relearn quicker your style and drive peppier
8 drive car in S mode.... Not C

Enjoy your new car.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
Hey cyclrder,

thank you very much i looked around the glovebox more and finally found the aux. i was expecting a cable to be hanging or something but it's just a small input :P

do you have a preferred parts store? My benzo's the same color as your and i really like the way your front looks.

also i've been getting around 16 in the city... if i drive in S will it go down to 12? or not really have that much of an effect?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
You will stay 15-18 MPG mixed driving (no long trips of a couple of hours which will give you close to 30 MPG and will alter your average MPG figure...) Unless you drive like a 19 year old.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by the3kid
+1
Read the MANUAL!!! If you don't have time to read the manual...you don't have time to drive the car. There is important info that you would like to know in there. Plus it will answer all your questions.

As for mods. use the search button.
I don't mind helping others. I am new to this forum, but not to many others, car related and hobby related. I must say that I don't like to see newbs flamed...but if you admit to being that lazy....you shouldn't own a Mercedes.

We are a special group of people. Not a bunch of damn idiots. We take pride in what we own, how we maintain it, and helping out others when they need it. Not just because they are too lazy to look.

You found the site....now find the answers.
+1 and +1, read the manual!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
After reading the manual i still have a couple confusions.

1) Do the rear-view mirrors fold in? It just seems weird that there is no way to move them.
2) when reading the manual it talked about a way to synchronize all 4 windows opening together. Is there a way to do this? (other than just pressing the 4 buttons :P)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
side mirrors cannot be folded in. you can add the motors so that you can do it electronically.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
is there a setting for the motors or is completely automatic??
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 AM

2006 e320 cdi
why not "C"?

Originally Posted by cyclrder
8 drive car in S mode.... Not C

Enjoy your new car.
What's wrong with C?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Pictures!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 AM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Originally Posted by SashaRussian
Hello MBforum.
I just bought myself a 2005 E500 and had a few questions.
Thanks in advance!
I had the time to get you started, but using the search function with broad terms will usually give you the archived info that you need. Every question has already been asked; it's just a matter of trying to locate the answers. Here you go, for now. Have fun with your new sled:

HIDDEN GEMS OF THE w211:[/B]
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ures-most.html

RESETTING THE SERVICE INDICATOR:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...indicator.html

SNEAKY ECU RESET:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e55-forum.html

CABIN & ENGINE AIR FILTER REPLACEMENTS (put in your own year, make and model, on the left side of the page):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...7101&carId=001

"Official MB Club UK" guide to E63 racing pedal DIY:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/inter...w202-w211.html
Old 07-26-2010, 02:01 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
Originally Posted by SPNJHockey
I had the time to get you started, but using the search function with broad terms will usually give you the archived info that you need. Every question has already been asked; it's just a matter of trying to locate the answers. Here you go, for now. Have fun with your new sled:

HIDDEN GEMS OF THE w211:[/B]
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ures-most.html

RESETTING THE SERVICE INDICATOR:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...indicator.html

SNEAKY ECU RESET:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e55-forum.html

CABIN & ENGINE AIR FILTER REPLACEMENTS (put in your own year, make and model, on the left side of the page):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...7101&carId=001

"Official MB Club UK" guide to E63 racing pedal DIY:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/inter...w202-w211.html

!!! +1 thank you very helpful.

after reading the forums i have it all almost figured out :P

i'm thinking about doing a lightbulb upgrade for the front headlights and blinker lights. I'm going to instal the clear side lights but i'm not sure about the bulbs, i've heard everything from keep the stock to some "silver" lights, whats the difference and what's the best one? Also, if i want to upgrade my headlights to have more of a blue tint, is it just replacing the light bulbs or do i need to mod the headlights as well?

Also, i've recently developed a problem with my sunroof (maybe?)
Sometimes when i click to close it, it goes about 95% (from completely open to completely closed) and then slides back out to about 70%. Usually after a couple of times it will work, or if i go outside the car and close the sunroof with the key.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM

E 350
As far as your sun roof.. you have a bad relay switch.... if the car is still under warranty, take it over to the dealer and they will replace it for free.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
Originally Posted by Randal70
As far as your sun roof.. you have a bad relay switch.... if the car is still under warranty, take it over to the dealer and they will replace it for free.
The car still has some warranty. Is there a way to test this or just to show them? It doesn't do this every time, and knowing my luck I will bring it over to them and it will work perfectly. Can they check through the computer or is it more of a they have to see it to believe it?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
You will stay 15-18 MPG mixed driving (no long trips of a couple of hours which will give you close to 30 MPG and will alter your average MPG figure...) Unless you drive like a 19 year old.
This seems about right, the first fill up was 17.9MPG but on the second it went down to 14.2 (was showing my friends all the power)

30 seems waaaay too high... I highly doubt this car can get anywhere over ~25 even on long trips.

Originally Posted by anewbie
What's wrong with C?
C is comfort and starts off from 2nd gear while S is sport and starts off from first gear.

Why does starting from 2nd gear make it more "comfortable" and fuel efficient? Seems like it would be the other way around?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
30 seems waaaay too high... I highly doubt this car can get anywhere over ~25 even on long trips.
Heh heh heh... drive for economy on the interstate, reset the trip computer & be amazed.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 AM

2007 A8L 4.2
Also, i've recently developed a problem with my sunroof (maybe?)
Sometimes when i click to close it, it goes about 95% (from completely open to completely closed) and then slides back out to about 70%. Usually after a couple of times it will work, or if i go outside the car and close the sunroof with the key.
Open the SR all the way, put a bunch of WD40 on a rag and clean the rails very well, being careful not to stain the headliner.

Once everything is clean it will slide like teenager on a $20 hooker....
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by tashakes
Once everything is clean it will slide like teenager on a $20 hooker....
LOL