2003 E500 Too Low - Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
2003 E500 Too Low - Visit Workshop

Hi All,

My car had the this warning on Monday of this week. The drivers side of the car was as the correct height, but the pass. side was not. I didn't have time to look at it over the week. This morning I went out to determine what was wrong. Started car, noticed a slight popping sound. Localized to the pass rear side. Attempted to jacked up the right rear side. The tire stays on the ground and frame/body lifts. Visual inspection of the rear pass. strut shows no noticeable oil or other discoloration on the strut.

Next steps.

1.) Takeout/dissassemble the ride side of the trunk to allow visual inspection of the top of rear pass. strut.

What next?

Thanks for any help!

William
Old 07-24-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by willjr2000
Hi All,

My car had the this warning on Monday of this week. The drivers side of the car was as the correct height, but the pass. side was not. I didn't have time to look at it over the week. This morning I went out to determine what was wrong. Started car, noticed a slight popping sound. Localized to the pass rear side. Attempted to jacked up the right rear side. The tire stays on the ground and frame/body lifts. Visual inspection of the rear pass. strut shows no noticeable oil or other discoloration on the strut.

Next steps.

1.) Takeout/dissassemble the ride side of the trunk to allow visual inspection of the top of rear pass. strut.

What next?

Thanks for any help!

William
Before you started the car, did you observe the front or the rear being low at the passenger side?

It must be one of your air springs either leaking or failed. It is difficult to observe signs of leaked air, you have to use some other methods to figure out which strut is misbehaving.

The wheel does come off the ground if you lift the car properly, how could one change tyres otherwise. You might be able to find the issue with a good visual inspection if you remove the wheel and lift the car up.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Changed my 2 front struts at the dealer a few weels ago:
It came to $4K and paid by my Easy Care maintenance contract with a $250.00 deductible.
The dealer tried to soak me for another $330.00 for strut and 4-wheel alignment after the job, but I refused to pay it. If required after a strut replacement, it should be part of the procedure and coverd under the warranty.
The dealer gave up and just ate it.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the passenger side front was slightly lower than it should have been. The passenger rear was much lower than it should have been.

I agree.

I agree. The passenger rear of the the car should have lifted off on the ground, but it did not. The jacked was positioned at the right rear lift point (side of car). Use a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack.

I guess the question is would/could the failure of the passenger strut/air bladder cause the behavior described?

Thanks,

William