Interior Drivers Door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
Interior Drivers Door Panel Removal

Guys,

My w211 2003 drivers side door panel is starting to look a little worn out (The part where your elbow rests, see attachment). I found a guy selling a w211 door panel for $100, so I thought it would be a good idea to replace it. The leather color is right, but the wood is wrong (I have the gray wood). I found a YouTube video on how to replace the door panel, and it does not seem hard at all.

My question is this:
Option 1: Is it possible to swap the wood from my door onto the new door panel so the wood matches? If so, can you please send me detailed instructions on how to do this?
Option 2:
Is it possible to replace just the elbow rest part on my current door panel with the new one, or, is it all one big piece?

I have searched the forums and the internet and cannot find any instructions at all for a w211.

I have attached a pic (Not my car. My wood is gray) to show you what I am trying to replace.

Thanks,
PetePap
Attached Thumbnails Interior Drivers Door Panel Removal-door.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I replaced the armrest a couple of months ago. Although It is not a hard job if you have a good work space and tools. It is a little involved. You have to remove the entire door panel and the interior door components in a specific order. You also have to drill out the rivets that hold the A/C duct to the door. I didn't have a way to install new rivets upon reassembly, so I used that heavy duty gray 3M double sided tape.

I have good instructions attached (courtesy of Konegstig).

Parts.com sells a new armrest for about $100 in the color that matches your car. They had the best price I could find.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front_armrest.pdf (172.2 KB, 1284 views)
File Type: pdf
Front_door_lining.pdf (103.0 KB, 892 views)

Last edited by BagMan; 08-13-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Bag302
I replaced the armrest a couple of months ago. Although It is not a hard job if you have a good work space and tools. It is a little involved. You have to remove the entire door panel and the interior door components in a specific order. You also have to drill out the rivets that hold the A/C duct to the door. I didn't have a way to install new rivets upon reassembly, so I used that heavy duty gray 3M double sided tape.

I have good instructions attached (courtesy of Konegstig).

Parts.com sells a new armrest for about $100 in the color that matches your car. They had the best price I could find.
WOW. Thanks Bag. This is a great (and complicated) manual. I am almost thinking it is easier to just replace the wood and install the whole new panel. Like I said, the guy is selling me the whole panel with different color wood. I hope someone could send instructions (if it is even possible) on how to replace the wood on the door...

Thanks Again. I will use this if the wood repacement is not possible...

PetePap
Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
You can change the wood trim. MB sells a special "trim removal tool". It's a plastic wedge about 6" long x 1.5" wide and designed not to marr the wood. I think I paid $27 for one.

It would be easier to change the whole panel, swap the trim and then sell the remaining panel.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM

2003 E500
I just replaced the armrest covers on my front driver and passenger doors using the procedure BagMan provided. The only alteration was that I was able to pry off the air conditioning duct retainers using a small screwdriver so no drilling was required.

The most time consuming task was removing the mat cover which has adhesive backing on it which needs to be worked off of the door lining, air conditioning duct, and with care off of the ribbon cable. It also took me a while to figure out how to reinstall the door lining.

Of course the second armrest cover was installed in a fraction of the time required for the first.