Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by Cbtech
it doesnt.

Why pay $250 to "connect to command" but have zero features available. My above scenario does all of the same for $100:
  1. Not have steering wheel functionality
  2. has charging capability
  3. same sound quality from the 3.5mm jack
  4. can be tucked in the glove box but long enough for use by the driver
Sorry for being slow, but I still don't understand how this hooks up.
One end goes to iPod I get, but where does the USB go?(in order to play the audio signal/provide the power)
I have a 2005 S600 w/ Navi command.
PL
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Sorry for being slow, but I still don't understand how this hooks up.
One end goes to iPod I get, but where does the USB go?(in order to play the audio signal/provide the power)
I have a 2005 S600 w/ Navi command.
PL
The USB provides the power via the below connection

Thats it. nothing else.

The 3.5mm goes to the glove box jack to play audio.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Did this tonight as I was sick of driving with my glove box open. My last trip at night was the killer with the light glaring the whole time. I didn't take out the center console though, I routed the wire behind the changed drawer, under the rear seat center vents, around the shifter and through the hole to the center armrest... This seemed easier to me at the time, but now I can't get the center console trim piece to snap back down. It's sticking up about a 1/4 of an inch above the edge of the ashtray. Hmm, might be time to route the wire the other way. Need to take a look at it in the morning. Perhaps this wasn't the best project to tackle at night.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 AM

E350 Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Thanks for clarifying. In my car, I wouldn't even need to remove the ashtray, console or other parts to get the aux cable in; just move the carpet and fish with a long wire tie. The only reason to remove anything would be to get to that power. I'd like to utilize this iPod attachment:

That enables a line-level output, rather than the variable output the headphone jack gives. The other input (which is available as USB, mini-USB and FireWire) could be used for power. That's from Sendstation, website here.
Just some further clarification, as noted you the power option can be via: USB, mini-USB or FireWire.

If you have a newer iPod device they charge at 5v (e.g. iPhone) for that you should get the mini-USB option (bonus: the new universal phone chargers are all now mini-USB and so can be used on new device (phone, iPod etc.)).

The older iPods charged at 12v and for them the FireWire option is the way to go.

So, bottom-line is you also need to consider which iPod model you have before buying the adapter. I think a big plus with this adapter is the sound quality and volume should better than the earphone connection, can anyone who installed one confirm this?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM

E550
thanks for this write up, had my merc for a week and use this write up to take it apart. although, i deviated alittle. i droped the top section of the glove box and routed the cable behind the left latch and behind the key cylinder. (above the back screw of the key cylinder there is a hole big enough for the audio jack.) popped the light out as you did to guide the jack downward. the rest was the same and didnt need to cut a hole.

only used a red pen, straw, tape, trox (to drop the under dash panel) and patience.

SnowCub
i had the same issue but push the console back and gave it a nice "tap" with my hand and it went back it no prob.

Last edited by ninjamerc; 11-23-2010 at 10:50 AM.