E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Procedure for replacing ESP module?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Procedure for replacing ESP module?

I found a replacement ESP module that I'm going to try. Thanks tashakes for turning me on to car-parts.com.

Plan A is the module works fine. Plan B is to send mine or the new one to BBA-Reman to be fixed.

ANYWAY, before I unplug the old one and plug the new one in, is there anything I need to do?

I've been told that with the car off and key out that I can simply unplug the old ESP module and plug in the new on then start the car and go.

Is that true?

I've read lots of posts about the procedure for disconnecting the battery so I'm now nervous that there must be a sequence to follow for this.

Thanks, Will
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 PM

2005 E320 CDI
My module arrived. Naturally I'm excited about getting the car back to normal but I don't want to screw anything up. Any advice for installing the ESP module?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 PM

2003 W211
Man, I wish I knew that changing the ESP is somewhat simple to do, I ended up getting raped at the Mercedes dealer (it was TWICE what people here on this forum had said is the typical charge for this). Best of luck, hopefully somebody with experience will chime in and help you out.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Thanks for the support.

I happen to have a very honest MB mechanic who is DIY friendly. He heard what the dealership wanted ($1700 out the door) and was pissed. He mentioned that I could find a used one. New I found the module for around a grand. Used was alot less but I'm gambling that it works. Of course I can't figure out where the dealer was getting the extra $700 (assuming they could buy it for a grand, diagnostics for $100 that leaves $600 for labor which makes me concerned that either there is more to the un-plug old, plug-in new installation or they were going to rape me too).

Oh yeah, and I have to make sure I don't screw anything up swapping it out, just a small concern (humor intended). Hopefully someone will have some input. My mechanic will likely help me out but if there's no need I'd love to avoid the cost.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Do I understand that your MB mechanic is from a dealer? The EPC control unit needs to be coded, the control unit needs to learn the sensors and the procedure even includes a drive test. There is an option to copy settings from the old part to the new one, if the old one works perhaps this would be sufficient.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Thanks DB,

The ESP and ABS warning lights came on. My independent MB mechanic diagnosed SBC. I went to dealer for warranty work and dealer said it was ESP module.

I am going to try a new ESP module that I got used for cheap (seems worth a try). I am trying to figure out if the dealer has to install it or if someone with MB diagnostic tools can install (like my independent mechanic) or if I can just plug it in.

Does that better explain my situation?

From what you're saying this will require at least a technician at the independent shop who can use their diagnostic computer to help with the install?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 4will
Thanks DB,

The ESP and ABS warning lights came on. My independent MB mechanic diagnosed SBC. I went to dealer for warranty work and dealer said it was ESP module.

I am going to try a new ESP module that I got used for cheap (seems worth a try). I am trying to figure out if the dealer has to install it or if someone with MB diagnostic tools can install (like my independent mechanic) or if I can just plug it in.

Does that better explain my situation?

From what you're saying this will require at least a technician at the independent shop who can use their diagnostic computer to help with the install?
I don't think you mentioned SBC previously. Sounds odd if your independent mechanic found SBC issues and you try to fix it by changing the ESP module.

Anyway you got it right, in order to properly install the EPC control unit, you would need someone with a Star diagnosis tool (I hope your independent workshop has one).
Old 09-05-2010, 03:32 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I agree, this all sounds weird. I took it to the independent who said SBC. The original problem was that the dash said ABS and ESP malfunction and the steering was stiff and the cruise control didn't work (I was turning into a parking lot and the warning lights came on and the steering was stiff, I later learned that the cruise was not working because of this problem).

Because of the SBC warranty I took it to the dealer who diagnosed and said ESP. I am not 100% sure why the independent said SBC. His explanation to me is that their computer pointed to the SBC and because so many of the systems are related that the dealership diagnosed deeper to find the ESP problem.

I'll be honest, I've never had a reason to inquire whether the independent has Star diagnosis but given that he only does MB work and has always had very honest with me and everyone I know who uses him I'm hoping that this was either a small oversight and not some crazy glitch that the car is presenting.

So next step is to check with him about installing the new module and whether he has Star diagnosis.

As you can imagine this has been a pain in the head but at least when I had to do brakes recently he gave me the labor for free to compensate for the trouble. That is a double win for me, not only did I not spend the money on the labor but I also didn't have to spend the time doing the brakes myself.

Thanks for the continued thoughts and input.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1996 e320
Originally Posted by 4will
I agree, this all sounds weird. I took it to the independent who said SBC. The original problem was that the dash said ABS and ESP malfunction and the steering was stiff and the cruise control didn't work (I was turning into a parking lot and the warning lights came on and the steering was stiff, I later learned that the cruise was not working because of this problem).

Because of the SBC warranty I took it to the dealer who diagnosed and said ESP. I am not 100% sure why the independent said SBC. His explanation to me is that their computer pointed to the SBC and because so many of the systems are related that the dealership diagnosed deeper to find the ESP problem.

I'll be honest, I've never had a reason to inquire whether the independent has Star diagnosis but given that he only does MB work and has always had very honest with me and everyone I know who uses him I'm hoping that this was either a small oversight and not some crazy glitch that the car is presenting.

So next step is to check with him about installing the new module and whether he has Star diagnosis.

As you can imagine this has been a pain in the head but at least when I had to do brakes recently he gave me the labor for free to compensate for the trouble. That is a double win for me, not only did I not spend the money on the labor but I also didn't have to spend the time doing the brakes myself.

Thanks for the continued thoughts and input.

You did not post whether you were able to replace the ESP module with the used one. I have the same problem and would like to replace it with a used one.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I was!

I found one on car-part.com. I gambled. It was $150 shipped but with no warranty. I had my independent install, not because the actual installation is hard, but to do the necessary computer work. I think he charged me maybe $75.

I still have my old computer that I was planning to send to one of the online companies that reprograms the modules and then sell it as a working unit. If you can't find a working unit, I'd sell mine for a couple of bucks to cover shipping and you could send it off. The only reason I didn't do that when it was bad is because I understood that if I took the unit out, the car would no longer be in the "limited" mode but would be inoperable until I got the computer back. So buying one and driving it with limited function for a few days was easier for my schedule.

Hope that helps. Feel free to call if I can help more, Will

803 four two two 6933
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
I know that this an old thread but I just wanted to clear up some things that were mentioned here. First, the ABS and ESP are connected. When your car starts to slide out of control, the car applies brakes to the specific wheels in order to correct itself. Try sliding it in the parking lot covered in snow. With ESP on, you will not be able to get it to slide sideways. So, it makes sense for all those systems to go if your SBC is shot.

Second, I looked into to changing the SBC pump as well with a used one. From what I observed, it's a pretty straight forward job. Just make sure you disconnect the battery so that you do not "wake up" the pump by accident in the process of taking it out/putting it in. I find it ridiculous how much MB charges for these repairs. Straight up financial rape if you ask me. I'm glad that it worked for you. Definitely gives everyone here an alternative to getting bent over by their friendly local MB dealer.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would exercise caution untill you really know that the ESP module is faulty.Is this a W210 or W211 car

Some interact with the BAS and ASR.

First confirm the module is faulty,then confirm via VIN the correct part number for your car. Now you can shop the part knowing the correct part number.

Additionally why not just turn off the ESP at the dash??

Last edited by Plutoe; 12-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM

2009 C63
Bringing this one back to life. I purchased a used ESP module from a salvaged car. Took it to the dealer to be programed to my VIN and they stated they cant recode a module already coded with another VIN. Does anyone know if this is true or if they're just not wanting to do it?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:12 AM

E280
I was told the same. The ABS Control Module cannot be replaced by a used one because it's programmed to the original VIN and cannot be reprogrammed. Did you find out if this was true or not?
Old 11-19-2021, 01:32 PM

w204
I replaced my ESP module by purchasing a used unit from a business in Beirut Lebanon through Ebay. I search the part number printed on my original part. This business advertised that they code it to your VIN and test before shipping. It was relatively easy to change, snap off the connector cover, release the connector cam lock and pull away the connector. Four torx screws hold the control to the ABS valve body, one is almost inaccesable and you will have to get a bit creative with a tiny wrench and a Torx bit. In mine this one was partially head-stripped and I ended up wacking it with a punch and hammer.
Once installed, I checked the unit with my iCarsoft computer and found that the ESP information listed the VIN the same as my car so I have to believe this is necessary for proper operation. You can imagine the liabity risk the dealer would take by recoding a important safety device that is in unknown condition, definitly not worth the couple of hundred dollars people are willing to pay. I guess Lebanon has a lot of shady car business going on and probably have connections in the dealership.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:36 PM

Toyota Verso
Hi. Now you can buy a refurbished module quite cheaply.
And the video on youtube will help you to replace it yourself. It saves you quite a lot of money in these difficult times