E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Gas Smell - Small hose going into fuel sending unit - Fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Gas Smell - Small hose going into fuel sending unit - Fix?

Yes, I've searched and read pretty much every thread about this issue.

There was a massive recall on the E55 AMGs that had the faulty sending units in which they placed a metal tube inside the nipple (and probably replaced the clamp/tube) in order to fix the problem. Or in some cases just replaced the entire fuel sending unit altogether if it was cracked/leaking.

Why weren't the other E-classes part of this recall? It appears due to the number of incidences reported on this forum that there is a problem with the non-amg e class as well.

Whats the fix for this exactly? Has Mercedes come out with a new hose and/or clamp? Im afraid to install a worm clamp and tighten it down a ton because of the E55 recall where they installed the metal tube inside of the nipple. This (and the superceded fuel sending unit p/n) tells me they were having issues crushing the nipple when applying enough clamping force to stop the leak.

Anyone have P/N's for the hose and clamp? I can't find these parts listed in the Mercedes parts fiche.

I took my car in today because of the leak. Prior to taking it in I inspected the hose and found all it needed was a better hose clamp and MAYBE a new hose. I figured because this is such a common issue, and perhaps my dealer wants me to purchase an 8th car from them, they would spend 2 minutes and ten cents on a new hose clamp and repair this under goodwill - or worse case charge me $5.

Wrong, instead they told me I needed an all new fuel sending unit. When I asked them why, they were unable to articulate why I needed an entire new unit ($800 parts + labor).
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Also if I choose to do the sending unit what else will I need? I read somewhere that you need adaptors for the electrical and fuel connections as the new fuel sending units are different? I have a 2004 E320.

Do I really need to use the "claw wrench"? Can I just hit it with a hammer/punch? Maybe use a spanner wrench?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350, sport & P1
fuel leak

I just had my 2007 E350 in the shop for the same thing. They replaced the fuel tank. Car is a CPO so the fix was no charge. Also had to have the A/C evaporator coil in the dash replaced. The drivers side was blowing warmer than the passenger side.Was a leaky coil. Also no charge for the repair.
Dave
Old 10-02-2010, 02:24 AM

Bump

-How hard is this to do myself if I don't have the "prong wrench" obviously I won't be able to tighten the "caps" down to spec but is this even an issue?

-Where can I get this part on the cheap? Best I found so far was $216 at MB of Annapolis plus $20 for a harness and then $20 for something else. (According to the parts guy these 2 additional parts are required).
Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by dothetime
I just had my 2007 E350 in the shop for the same thing. They replaced the fuel tank. Car is a CPO so the fix was no charge. Also had to have the A/C evaporator coil in the dash replaced. The drivers side was blowing warmer than the passenger side.Was a leaky coil. Also no charge for the repair.
Dave
FYI, according to my warranty booklet the fuel tank is 100% covered up until 7 years/70,000 miles (and maybe 8/80,000, I thought the Fed mandated the emissions warranty to last 8/80k but I'm not sure). The warranty booklet also states the fuel sending unit is part of the emissions system but not covered under the emissions warranty which is confusing.

My service advisor vehemently denied this and said only the cats were covered under the emissions warranty. Honestly, I'm confused how the dealer doesn't know this is covered, or perhaps they were playing dumb?

Last edited by W Cole; 10-02-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by W Cole
My service advisor vehemently denied this and said only the cats were covered under the emissions warranty.
CA - fuel tank is covered for 7/70000 whichever comes first
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG W211
Fuel Smell W211 Cabin

I am also have the extreme fuel Vapor Contamination inside the Cabin of my 2003 E55. I took it to South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, CA and they informed me it will cost $1500 to replace the fuel filter/sending unit which is an ongoing defective item. This unit had already been replaced 2 years ago under the Fuel Filter recall and now here we go again. I called MB Corporate Customer Service to have them review and address this ongoing issue. The first representative informed me that within 24 hours he would have a response but as it turns out, 48 hours after the fact no response and I cannot get a hold of him. I demanded to have someone else help me so after a 15 minute wait I spoke to someone which said she might be able to offer a partial assistance because the vehicle just became a pumpkin 1278 miles ago it hit the fuel system limit of 70,000 miles. Honestly, if MB does not make it right I will sell off my E55 immediately. I don't want to expose myself to a vehicle and manufacturer that can consciously pass of a defective repair enabling a rolling Fuel Bomb and demanding that the client pay for the repair. Sounds to me like terrorism. Well, maybe I have it right, Mercedes has learned a new method to increase profit, create a product that is volatile and explosive then demand the client to pay. All I have to say about that is that this is the USA and we do not give in to Terrorism. The answer might just have to be CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT! Unfortunately someone might have to lose their life in a W211 Mercedes Time bomb before anything happens.
Anyone interested in a 2003 E55 with 71,278 miles?????????
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Kind of hard to see how widespread problems with gas tank, attendant fuel spillage and intolerable odor are only recognized as an emissions issue in Ca. I think I'll take the time to file a complaint with NHSTA and EPA.