E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Quick question on brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
Quick question on brake fluid?

Do we have to use DOT4 plus / MB approved brake fluid if I want to change the fluid?

And where to get DOT4 plus?

I know Mobil DOT4 plus is approved but who carrys it?

Thx
Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by noyu
Do we have to use DOT4 plus / MB approved brake fluid if I want to change the fluid?

And where to get DOT4 plus?

I know Mobil DOT4 plus is approved but who carrys it?

Thx
Yes, we have to use DOT4+ (or Super DOT 4, depending on where you live in the world).

I've been using ATE Super Blue or Type 200 Amber (same fluid only color difference), but since you live more north than me, I'd recommend ATE SL6 which has a better viscosity for the cold extremes than the Blue/200. I also have a Motive bleeder.

Regards,
paul...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by paulv
Yes, we have to use DOT4+ (or Super DOT 4, depending on where you live in the world).

I've been using ATE Super Blue or Type 200 Amber (same fluid only color difference), but since you live more north than me, I'd recommend ATE SL.6 which has a better viscosity for the cold extremes than the Blue/200. I also have a Motive bleeder.

Regards,
paul...
Thank you Paul for your post.

Please excuse my ignorant: I did look up ATE fluid and neither Super Blue or SL.6 has mention anything about DOT 4 plus except they did mentioned that the SL.6 replaces Super Dot 4.

Are these synthetic DOT 4 fluid or just conventional brake fluid with higher boiling point?

I saw some DOT 4 synthetic can I use those instead?

Many thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Thank you Paul for your post.

Please excuse my ignorant: I did look up ATE fluid and neither Super Blue or SL.6 has mention anything about DOT 4 plus except they did mentioned that the SL.6 replaces Super Dot 4.

Are these synthetic DOT 4 fluid or just conventional brake fluid with higher boiling point?

I saw some DOT 4 synthetic can I use those instead?

Many thanks!
Please excuse my ignorance this time -- I don't know what ATE puts into their brake fluid. But whatever you buy needs to be either DOT 4+ or Super DOT 4 -- you can't use a regular DOT 4 and you can't use a DOT 5 (silicone based), but can use a DOT 5.1 (not silicone based).

Regards,
paul...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by paulv
Please excuse my ignorance this time -- I don't know what ATE puts into their brake fluid. But whatever you buy needs to be either DOT 4+ or Super DOT 4 -- you can't use a regular DOT 4 and you can't use a DOT 5 (silicone based), but can use a DOT 5.1 (not silicone based).

Regards,
paul...
Thanks Paul for your prompt reply again!

Okay, I know now and actually I did open the hood and check the reservoir and it stamps DOT 4+ only.

Don't understand what ATE never mention DOT4+ on their website (except the SL.6 they said replace Super DOT4) but on tirerack's website when I click brakes for Mercedes all ATE fluids were show up and listed suitable for our car.

I am thinking of changing most of the fluid myself before the winter comes and your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Thanks Paul for your prompt reply again!

Okay, I know now and actually I did open the hood and check the reservoir and it stamps DOT 4+ only.

Don't understand what ATE never mention DOT4+ on their website (except the SL.6 they said replace Super DOT4) but on tirerack's website when I click brakes for Mercedes all ATE fluids were show up and listed suitable for our car.

I am thinking of changing most of the fluid myself before the winter comes and your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
I think your best bet is to find out what the wet/dry boining point is for the brake fluid that Mercedes dealers sell for this car (you might be able to find out by calling a parts counter and having him read the label). I use ATE Type 200 Gold for my Porsche (on which I do my own brake fluid changes), whose dry/wet boiling point is 536 F/392 F (280 celcius /200 celcius). That exceeds the specs of the Porsche-labelled DOT 4 brake fluid. ATE is hard to find at local car parts stores, so I buy it from either CDOC, Bavarian Autosport or OG Racing.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
Only Low viscosity fluid should be used. It is very important.