No Alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Post No Alarm?

Questions for anyone…

Just purchased a 2003 E320 with 89K miles. When I hit the "panic" button on the key, only the lights flash, and no alarm sounds. The manual says that the alarm should go off but I have no sound. I have tried this several times, with both keys and the batteries in the smart keys have been replaced.
I noticed that once in a while when I first turn the car on the multifunction display the message "all electrical systems turned off" or something to that nature briefly. Unsure if this could have something to do with it.

Does anyone else experience the quick buzzing noise when I take the smartkey out of the ignition? Is this normal or a security thing?

Any tips on DIY maintenance?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by gzanf92
Questions for anyone…

Just purchased a 2003 E320 with 89K miles. When I hit the "panic" button on the key, only the lights flash, and no alarm sounds. The manual says that the alarm should go off but I have no sound. I have tried this several times, with both keys and the batteries in the smart keys have been replaced.
I noticed that once in a while when I first turn the car on the multifunction display the message "all electrical systems turned off" or something to that nature briefly. Unsure if this could have something to do with it.

Does anyone else experience the quick buzzing noise when I take the smartkey out of the ignition? Is this normal or a security thing?

Any tips on DIY maintenance?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome

You found us.

MBWorld members have posted a lot of info. Please search. To get you started I took the liberty and posted the following link.

MBW FAQ
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Within the week we had to replace the "alarm siren" on our 2003 car. There is a bulletin that describes a situation where the alarm fails to engage and the interior lights stay on. This bulletin points to a faulty rear SAM. Not so in our case, it was the alarm. You have the option of letting the dealer run a diagnostic ($150 in my case) or you can try hit or miss.
These cars are pretty complicated electrically. The chances of getting it on the first try are slim.
The dealer said it was the key fob. $266 later that proved not to be the case. I avoid dealers with extreme prejudice but in some instances, they are the only option.
The siren part number is 219-820-32-26.
They charged me $150 for it and supposedly that was a "deal" for fumbling the ignition key call.
Good Luck

PS the buzzing is normal

As for the consumer electrical message:
The car is programmed to shut down optional electrical devices when the electrical system is under stress.
When the charging system gets behind the curve it will start turning off seat heaters, blower motor, rear defroster, radio, etc. This is a "limp home" set up

This could be:
Defective main battery
Defective aux battery
Defective alternator/ voltage regulator
Defective battery control module
loose battery cable
etc.

If you have not driven the car for an extended time, that can trigger this message
I would not panic. Watch for another posting. If it occurs, start thinking about finding the problem

The first thing I would do is charge the main battery bt driving 20-30 miles at highway speeds. That should bring a functioning electrical system back to full capacity

Last edited by Clinton Horn; 10-02-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: additional info