E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 In-Dash CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Angry W211 In-Dash CD Changer

I just installed the in-dash changer in my car, and it loads CDs fine, but it will only play from the first chamber (and it only does that every now and then). I don't know what I need to do to fix this problem. Also, I'm not sure whether or not it's a problem with the changer, or the computer system.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:18 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Do you get screen prompts like, "Unable to establish audio connection..."? Is there static in the speakers? It sounds like you have a defective changer.

Mine is as ssslllooowww as molasses with respect to changing and loading CDs. I have also found out that you can't do too many things at one time with the audio system. For example, load/change CDs while surfing radio stations, etc... Sometimes the unit "locks up". I have to turn off the power to the audio system and then power it back on to reset the mechanism.

Ahhhh... electronic wizardry.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
is this option worth getting? I thought about getting it, its seems inexpensive, even though I won't really use it much, I had figured it would be important for resale. what do you think?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Talking

I have this feature (so a total of 7 CD's), and I've had no problems at all and am very happy with it!!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 AM

2003 MB E500
I recommend getting the changer. It's nice having it in the dash and 7 CD's in total to choose from. I've had no problems with it. Well worth the money IMO.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:47 PM

Standard on Aussie 320 and 500's.

Wouldn't be without it!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:45 PM

2003 E320
yeah

i think it's worth it.

but with that said...i don't have it. i don't listen to CDs or music very much in the car. i usually listen to talk radio or sports so it's really no use for me.

also, since the sunglass compartment is way too small for my sunglasses, i like the compartment that you gain by not having a cd changer. i use that compartment for my sunglasses.

it's great...i get into the car, start driving, push the button so the little door opens, i pull out my sunglasses and put them on, and about 30 seconds later, the little door automatically closes (without me pushing the button). very nice.

Rock.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 PM

I have it and it works great. So far I have had no problems with the CD changer whatsoever! Knock on wood.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
My factory installed cd changer is working fine. Its perfectly hidden behind the behind some buttons. It has never failed to eject or play a cd. I have to admit that ejecting/inserting a cd can sometimes take quite a long time. When you press one of the numbers on the changer, one has to wait for the mechanisms inside the changer to make adjustments (or something) before a cd is ejected or put in. The operation is quite and I like the way the cd gets "sucked in" the slot. IMO, it is definately something worth getting.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:17 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
No doubt... get the in dash 6-CD changer

It's convenient. It's concealed. You can change multiple discs without having to open the trunk or glovebox. It's "cheap" as far as options go. It comes from the factory, so you don't have to mess with the install.

Watch out, though. The CD changing mechanism is really slow. You need to WAIT for each little light to turn green before loading all your CDs one at a time. This has been really fun at my dealer when I drop the car off for service. It literally takes several minutes almost to get all 6 of my wife's CDs out of the unit!

Also, with respect to the audio control/CD system... do one function at a time. Sometimes, pushing too many buttons at once "locks up" the computer and you have to turn off the audio sytem to reboot it. Hahaha... my CD changer froze at the dealer when I was taking all the CDs out. It happened while the service guy was watching me. Oh well, as long as it works!