Download contact from iPhone to Command Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 E350
Download contact from iPhone to Command Phone

Hi,

I read a lot of posts about people having issue linking their iPhone to the Command phone function via bluetooth. Luck for me, I had no such issue. It detected the phone and connected like a charm. But, none of the contact would down. The very first time I connected, I did a test call and it did show the caller's actual name on the Command screen. I then attempted to do a reset, because the bluetooth connector I got is second hand. When I pressed down on the button and did the reset. The phone was again successfully detected. But this time, when I did the test call, it would only show the caller's number rather than the caller's name. I guess that means Command could not read the contact list to get the name.

Can someone please give me the detailed instruction on how to get the contact list to load. Also, what if a second and different phone is sync, how would the contact list download function handle that? Would it remember both? Download only the contact list from the current connection??

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
What iPhone do you have and can you tell us what version of firmware.

If you have the iPhone 4 and your firmware is 4.0.x you should upgrade to 4.1
Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 PM

'08 E350
Sorry that I forgot to put in my phone details.
Yes, you are right, I have an iPhone 4 with firmware 4.0.2 and my wife's phone is a 3Gs with the same version of software.
I'm updating the software now. I noticed that one of the "bug fix" in this version is "Bluetooth Improvements". Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help.

I'll come back later to post and update on whether this resolved the issue.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM

'08 E350
Hi T-Bone,

I've updated my iPhone 4 with firmware version 4.1 as recommended. This did fix some, but not the problems I am seeing. When I did a reset and reconnected the phone, I can see that it correctly downloaded the "Received #" and "Dialed #" with actual names where applicable. But, I can also see the little phonebook icon on the top left-hand corner still greyed out. When I navigate to the phone function on the steering wheel, it says "List Empty". Any idea how to resolve that?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Hmmm... that's all I can really suggest. I suggest posting in the audio forum. Maybe someone there will be able to suggest something else.

At least you got it working a little bit more.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
On the Iphone go into settings, general, bluetooth. Click on your bluetooth device for your car, mine says MB Phone System. You now need to turn on Sync Contacts, Phone Favorites and Phone Recents.

This will allow you to see your contacts, recent calls and dialed calls on the command. I also select other groups, all contacts.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

'08 E350
RSmith7, I have all of those option set to "ON", but still no contact list being downloaded. When I was at the dealership, I asked on those guys that help customers learn all the tips and tricks of their cars. I was told that becase the iPhone does not have the "PUSH" function for the contact list, it won't do it automatically like Blackberry would. You have to convert them to V-card or enter the contacts manually. Though I have heard other having success without the extra effort. For now, looks like I just have to settle for an empty list til Apple does something about it. Thanks all.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
SFO350,

I have attached what I see when my phone connects to the command. Page one is the initial connection, Page to show contacts and dialed. Page three is the 'A' list on my phone. Page four shows all received calls on the phone and page five shows all dialed calls.

I do have my phone configured using GMail as the contacts manager and do not have any contacts on the Sim.

I do sometimes only get a number but this is normally on a incoming call and then it resolves to the contact name.

This has worked the same with my IPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E350 Iphone.pdf (350.1 KB, 298 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 AM

'08 E350
Hi RSmith7,
I attached some screenshots of what I see. I don't have any contacts on the sim card either. When you said you are using Gmail as your contacts manager, do you mean that you use Gmail as your main email service provider? I use Yahoo. But, I don't see anything on the Setting -> "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" menu that would have any impact on the bluetooth function. The "Fetch new data" function relates to email data. However, I test it out with that function switched on anyway and it made no difference.
This one really has me stumped.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
iPhone4_Bluetooth_Issue.pdf (1.27 MB, 292 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 4-Matic
This post really isn't going to help but my iPhones have had no problem syncing with the car. I've had a 3G and I now have the 4 and both worked perfectly. I did check the settings on mine and they match up exactly with what you posted in your screen shots so I can't really say what the problem could be other than something is malfunctioning or you have too many contacts.

How many contacts do you have? How long did you let the sync go for? The one time I had a problem was when I updated one of my iPhones and the contact list accidentally synced twice onto my phone creating hundreds and hundreds of contacts (another issue altogether that was a pain in the apple to fix....but I digress). Anyway, this doubled my contact list and it took a long time to sync through bluetooth. Once it finally did there was a message saying that all contacts are not synced (or something like that). I think it took around 10 min. Once I fixed the phone it worked again.

fwiw - I sync with MS Outlook Exchange
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

'08 E350
Thanks for verifying my settings FT Benz. I did do quite abit of research on this one using a few sites. I was sure I had all the settings turned on where necessary, reset the bluetooth device to be double sure. I don't have that many contacts. In fact, I thought it was a good execuse to cull a few old ones. So I'm now left with just the more frequently called numbers of around 70. Given that it took about 5 -6 seconds to
download the 20 dialed and received number, it should take a further 20 seconds or so to complete the contact list. I did wait and left it on in one car trip, but to no avail.

I don't beleive which email service you sync with should effect this function. I have not read anyone found that to be a cause/solution.

I agree, it should just work. This has been a real head scratcher. Maybe I will just unplug it all and re-do it again one more time.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
One more question I thought of: what type of bluetooth puck are you using?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM

2008 E350 4MATIC, 2002 ML320
SFOE350, take a look a the list below and see if you have the 1st or 2nd generation bluetooth device;

Here are the part numbers and generation types;

B 6 787 6131 3rd generation (current version, don’t waste your money on this, it does the same thing as the 2nd generation, only difference is size. This is small compared to the 1st/2nd generation ones)

B 6 787 5878 2nd generation (have capability to download your address book if you’re using a PDA/Smart phone type phone – Blackberry/iPhone)

B 6 787 5839 1st generation (will pair the device with your car but if you’re using a PDA/Smart phone, you’ll not be able to download your address book – and have to manually enter the phone details each time).

Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM

2008 E350 4MATIC, 2002 ML320
Also for B 6 787 5839 1st generation - you'll only be able to partially download some of your contacts. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM

'08 E350
Hi Lorrifan & T-Bone,

I got the second generation puck, model number ending 5878. I did a bit of research before I bought it, so I thought it was the most suitable one for the car. As RSmith7 pointed out, it should have just worked. FT Benz has the same settings on his iPhone and experienced no issue at all. There must be something really stupid that I overlooked or missed. But I did reset the whole connection from scratch twice and had the same result.