E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is it wheel bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Is it wheel bearing problem?

Hi everyone, here is what's happening to my 2004 E320, When i apply to brake i heard some noises coming from driver rear wheel. It sounds like something scratch in the rear wheel. When i got home, i removed the wheel and i saw a circle scratch all round inner of my rear wheel by brake backing plate. I checked all suspension component and everything seems ok.
It happens only when I apply the brake. Dealer replaced new brake rotors/pads last March.

I am thinking the wheel bearing is creating this problemDid anyone has this problem before?
Has anyone ever seen this problem before?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM

2006 e350
Well if the wheel bearing caused that then there would have to be serious play in the bearing that is ready to break. That would be very loud. Bad bearings hardly get to a point that they cause a catastrophic failure because you will get tired of the noise far before anything else. Jack up the rear wheel and grab the tire and check for play. Not always will there be play with a bad wheel bearing, but if it is doing that then there will be. There should be no play when you move the wheel side to side. I don't think it is the bearing.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM

2004 E320
walter34payton2, thanks for your input. I found my problem yesterday and fixed it. It was brake caliper bolt. Both bolts were losing and everytime i apply on the brake the caliper moves and scratched the wheel