E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lifter noise repair ? Is it valid ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 -2012 W212 4 Matic
Lifter noise repair ? Is it valid ?

I was noticing ticking noise from my engine bottom right side looking from the front. Nothing loud i thought it was injector's

I took it to the dealer for service A, they said they will need to replace the lifter's ?

is this is a big job ? cause noise is not loud unless you pop the hood open and go close.

I went in for a regular service A and they said we need to change the lifter ?

What is your opinion can this go bad on a 2009 E350 ? or is the dealer want to do some warranty work ?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
You do not want to leave this alone. The dealer may be hedging a bit but this is probably a
couple of grand (at least). They do not get better. Usually this results from some kind of oil failure. Louder when cold. I would let them replace it. If you leave it as is, it may cause a valve problem as well. This is not common on OHC engines. More of a problem with pushrod motors.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 -2012 W212 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
You do not want to leave this alone. The dealer may be hedging a bit but this is probably a
couple of grand (at least). They do not get better. Usually this results from some kind of oil failure. Louder when cold. I would let them replace it. If you leave it as is, it may cause a valve problem as well. This is not common on OHC engines. More of a problem with pushrod motors.
Thanks i did decide and let the dealer take care of it

Update just got back from the dealer they insist and diagnose as 2 bad lifters.

Parts will be in today, they will work on replacing the lifter's

I also asked them to change my Oil and filter to make sure they have the right viscositiy and oil pressure suggested by someone.

I told the dealer it may not be the lifter's it just could be low oil pressure or different type of oil.

They insisted we have been doing this for 30 year's and we know what causing the ticking noise it not loud at all only when you lift the hood.

I guess i have to take there word for it and proceed with the replacement of the lifter's

I will have to pay for the oil change and filter but atleast i will feel comfortable.

Will update the progress after i pick it up today or tomorrow.

Last edited by faz999; 11-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.