E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 E500 is almost out of ELW warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
2004 E500 is almost out of ELW warranty

Guys,

My 2004 E500 is out of ELW warranty at the end of this month. I had a 7yr / 100K warranty which is over at the end of Nov. So I'm getting the car to the dealer tomorrow to resolve some outstanding issues. But I need some help to get some TSBs or recommendations so that I don't get the standard - we can't recreate or that's how it works answer.

1. AM radio distortion. On AM talk radio, the center speaker has a bad distortion like a ripped speaker. I think I saw a TSB on this long time ago, but can't find it now.

2. Main issue - transmission is very jerky in low gears (2nd/3rd). I've had many problems with this over the years, have had all the value bodys replaced,etc. A few years ago, it finally got fixed, when they replaced the motor mounts, so I think it was not a transmission issue at all. Over the last few months I have taken it back, and they have adjusted the shifting, done stuff on the valve body, etc. Still the problem is there, I have asked them to check the motor mounts, but they keep saying it is fine. I'm not sure they have checked it though. Is there any TSB on this. Another symptom is that on hills you can really feel the jerks. I'm going to ride with the service guy tomorrow when I take it in.

3. Tire pressure sensors. They are always saying "reactivate". They replaced them last time, but it is back again on the dash board. It will still show the tire pressure, it just also shows as an "error" to reactivate.

4. CD Changer does not work right. Skips CDs or says that the CD has an error. This happens all the time. Any TSB on this will help also.

Thanks in Advance to all the forum gurus like Konitisger to looking into this for me!!

Apurva
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Sorry don't have anything specific to tell you (other than look at the TSB sticky page here; also any dealer should pull the TSBs based on your VIN.)

But I have a question for you.... did you run out of time (7 years) or did you put on 100k? If it's time, then what's the mileage on it?

I'm curious because of the price structuring of the MB ELWs. They seem to be designed to be more profitable for the mfg if the car runs out of time rather than mileage.

It would be a shame to buy a 7/100 ELW and only have say, 60k on it after 7 years is up. The mileage is the real killer of parts, not so much the time.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
It's the time 7yrs, I have 85K miles on the car. I am the original owner, it was an early 2004 that I got in 11/2003 (custom ordered from the factory). The ELW is the best investment, everyone needs to just add it to the cost of this car. I paid around $2500 at the time, and to date, I think they have probably billed MB in about $15K of warranty work. Just 2 months ago, I go into the garage and the car is on the ground. $5.5K to replace the whole front and rear airmatic system, etc, etc.

And when I got the ELW, it was completely refundable if you never make a claim on it. I don't know if this was a promotion from the MB Dealer I bought it from or if it is a MB thing, but he gave it to me in writing. So I figured at the time, if I did not use it (wishful thinking), then I would just get the money back.

On a side note, the reason I want to get all the issues cleared up now, is that I also just bought a new car, so I'm selling this one. I got a 2009 BMW 750i with 3800 miles for $68K shipped from MN to TX. The original MSRP on the car was $105.5K. There are deals to be had for very lightly used cars in the market. I also was considering a new E550, had a deal on one with 9000 miles for $63.5K shipped from NY to TX (original MSRP was $76K).

Apurva

Last edited by abhansali; 11-11-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by abhansali
It's the time 7yrs, I have 85K miles on the car. I am the original owner, it was an early 2004 that I got in 11/2003 (custom ordered from the factory). The ELW is the best investment, everyone needs to just add it to the cost of this car. I paid around $2500 at the time, and to date, I think they have probably billed MB in about $15K of warranty work. Just 2 months ago, I go into the garage and the car is on the ground. $5.5K to replace the whole front and rear airmatic system, etc, etc.

And when I got the ELW, it was completely refundable if you never make a claim on it. I don't know if this was a promotion from the MB Dealer I bought it from or if it is a MB thing, but he gave it to me in writing. So I figured at the time, if I did not use it (wishful thinking), then I would just get the money back.

On a side note, the reason I want to get all the issues cleared up now, is that I also just bought a new car, so I'm selling this one. I got a 2009 BMW 750i with 3800 miles for $68K shipped from MN to TX. The original MSRP on the car was $105.5K. There are deals to be had for very lightly used cars in the market. I also was considering a new E550, had a deal on one with 9000 miles for $63.5K shipped from NY to TX (original MSRP was $76K).

Apurva
Yeah, I know all about the ELWs (huge threads on the AMG forums.) There are still refundable at any time you own the car (pro rated of course.) But the prices are all over the place depending on the selling dealer. So you really have to shop around.

I was curious about the mileage because I see too many cars with the ELW expiring because of date and not mileage. If I ever got a 7/100 ELW I'd definitely be sure to put on the 100k. Nonetheless, you got your money back. On the early W211s, the ELW is even more necessary, imho.

Congrats on the new Bimmer. I was going to suggest selling your E500 but I didn't want to sound offensive.

I have an E46 330i that's got tons of miles on it and is a daily beater. The car has been flawless, no major issues whatsoever. Just a few small things like a couple of sensors and regular maintenance. Everything else has been great. I also have a 14 year-old Porsche that's probably been the most reliable car I've ever owned.