60K car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Question 60K car?

This is my first MB and had 5K miles on it. So far, I had brought my car to services twice. first time was the windshield wipers were too noisy, fixed. second was the car pulling to the right and still in shop for 3 days, and had interior tapping noise over bumps and my services advisor didn't even call me to update. My cousin asked me this is what a 60K car like? ISn't this a trouble free car for this kind of price? he then compared mine to his 2000 maxima, no problem for 45k miles.

I am confused for the car like this and for this price., why is it having so much troubles...... like some of you had engine ticking noise, airmatic failures, audio statics........... What is going on here? what's about BMW, do they have problems like MB?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:27 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
This is also my first Benz...

and I've been in the shop 3 times in 700 miles. Let's just say that I'm not enthused about the whole situation.

BUT, this car is quite an awesome performer! Smooth, effortless power delivery. Luxurious interior. Great looking, and overall a well thought out design. Aesthetically, the W211 shames the new BMW-5 IMHO... but each to his/her own.

Hopefully, I just got my last knick-knack fixed. It is, however, a first year model. There are going to be growing pains, and I understood that prior to purchase.

I'm just glad to have my car back!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:18 AM

BMW also has the same issues...i had a 2000 3 series...although it's not a 60k car..it was 36k. in the shop 9 times in 2 years for various problems. like mb, most of them were minor. after everything is fixed, that's when you start to really enjoy the car.

as of yet, i've had a problem with keyless-go (fixed), some static in radio (fixed until??) and minor alignment problems (hopefully fixed soon).
Old 04-26-2003, 12:20 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I rode in a 6 month old BMW 5 series convertable this week. Every time the car ran over a bump in the road I heard a rattling noise in the car. During a turn out of a parking garage I heard a very loud metal rubbing against metal sound. The owner said the noises were normal for BMW!
Old 04-26-2003, 01:30 PM

First of all, I didn't know BMW made a 5 series convertible, I assume you meant to say 3 series.

In addition, you have to realize that this is the introduction year for the new E-Class, as with ALL new cars in there first production year they are going to have problems (the majority of which are small). Generally after the first year of production this is sorted out and the following models don't have these issues. This is one of the drawbacks of getting the most current car, some people want to be the first on the road with the new car, others prefer to wait a year for all the bugs to be worked out.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 04-26-2003, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: 60K car?

Originally posted by khiemvy
This is my first MB and had 5K miles on it. So far, I had brought my car to services twice. first time was the windshield wipers were too noisy, fixed. second was the car pulling to the right and still in shop for 3 days, and had interior tapping noise over bumps and my services advisor didn't even call me to update. My cousin asked me this is what a 60K car like? ISn't this a trouble free car for this kind of price? he then compared mine to his 2000 maxima, no problem for 45k miles.

I am confused for the car like this and for this price., why is it having so much troubles...... like some of you had engine ticking noise, airmatic failures, audio statics........... What is going on here? what's about BMW, do they have problems like MB?
well, MB uses sophiscated electronics in thier cars. which, will sometimes fail. that maxima has everything your car has, and your car has everything the maxima has, if that makes sense. taking for instance, theier are 3 batteries for the new E, there might be even more. one is the basic battery, ones a back-up, and one is for the alarm. you also purchased a new year model. and they cant test these cars for a very long time, and all new year models have problems. you can also explain to him, what a 60K car has, all the features, then he would understand, i think hes just jealous
Old 04-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

mb e500 e2 e3 keyless
no way

this car is great BUT released too early or too many flaws.
6000 miles

replaced
motor mounts
new brake pads
wipers= my god so loud its was a joke
a/c died twice
seats- (reg) are not comfortable enough
( U want seating look at bmw sport pke)
side view mirrors should be larger

whats next???

e500 - e2-e3= sport -wood

These problems should not be in a 60k car...
P E R I O D

still love to drive it but dissapointed in my first mb-
sure i will be flamed-
Old 04-27-2003, 01:57 PM

The bottom line is that you cannot talk about reliability or even the little niggling problems in any German car versus the Japanese... On the average, even the first Japanese cars off the assembly line will have fewer problems than the last German cars off the line... it's just the way it is. You want reliability, get a Honda or Toyota or Nissan or Lexus... you great handling and style, get an MB, Bimmer, or Audi... Just don't compare the time in the shop between them...

Money has nothing to do with it... And technology and electronics has nothing to do with it... it just is...

Generally speaking... you have to be VERY lucky to get a German car where you only go into the shop for scheduled maintenance oil changes... and you have to be VERY unlucky to get a Japanese car where you have to go into the shop for anything OTHER than scheduled maintenance oil changes...

It's just the way it is. There are always exceptions to this... they're just rare.

-NavNut
Old 04-27-2003, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by NavNut
The bottom line is that you cannot talk about reliability or even the little niggling problems in any German car versus the Japanese... On the average, even the first Japanese cars off the assembly line will have fewer problems than the last German cars off the line... it's just the way it is. You want reliability, get a Honda or Toyota or Nissan or Lexus... you great handling and style, get an MB, Bimmer, or Audi... Just don't compare the time in the shop between them...

Money has nothing to do with it... And technology and electronics has nothing to do with it... it just is...

Generally speaking... you have to be VERY lucky to get a German car where you only go into the shop for scheduled maintenance oil changes... and you have to be VERY unlucky to get a Japanese car where you have to go into the shop for anything OTHER than scheduled maintenance oil changes...

It's just the way it is. There are always exceptions to this... they're just rare.

I would disagree with this - if you notice, most of these quality issues in German cars are with only the newer models, which have much more technologically sophisticated features than older models or most Japanese models of the same era.

For instance, can you say the W124 E-Class, even the very first one off the line, was not at least as reliable as a Lexus ES300 of the same era? Or that the same is not true for any MB of that era or before?

The quality issues are a newfound problem that has come with the extreme speed of technological development these days - there is no time for the slow and in depth quality testing of times past. The Japanese cars simply don't have that type of technology for the most part, and when they do, it is years after the German models have introduced them, which is because for the most part the Japanese stick to the old method of testing something for a long time before putting it into production, which does increase product quality but you sacrifice technology for that.

It's not as simple as just Japanese quality > German quality.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

mb e500 e2 e3 keyless
say what u will

too many problems- GREAT CAR-
BUT WHATS NEXT????

we will see....

my bet
ball joints
suspension

still a greta car but 60K?

too quick of a launch-car picked up in january...

also i think the techs know nada about the 2003 e 500 which is major problem
Old 04-27-2003, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Generally it's a rule of thumb to avoid the first model year of a car's production - almost alway buggy these days no matter which company or which model.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:18 PM

e500
this car would have a lot of problems, it has too much technology
Old 04-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

mb e500 e2 e3 keyless
all NEW cars have new tech>>

this is a great car with too many design flaws,
all new models have problems but not like these.....

there are MB fananatics... BMW fanatics......etc...
say what u will...

but this is not worthy of a 60k car....and i have been to 4 dealderships , the techs know s**t,,,

if it wasnt for this board- none of my prob would have been ficed.

first and last mb
still a great car- but not for me
Old 04-28-2003, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally posted by mbakshi
Generally it's a rule of thumb to avoid the first model year of a car's production - almost alway buggy these days no matter which company or which model.
But, if nobody will buy the first model year, then how MB will know what problems they have?I think that MB should buy back all first year production cars in case of discovering any sort of problems. This is already true for some sort of electronics, and should be applied for cars too.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:06 AM

2012 CLS
This is the first time I have been fortunate enough to buy a brand new Benz - the previous 4 have all been second hand.

I love the car but the biggest disappointment is that it has suffered more issues than all my previous Benz's put together in 8 years:

With 8000 miles to date:

Gateway computer issue - 3 weeks delay to collect car
SRS computer issue - 1 week further delay
Aircon not working when collected - 2 visits
Aircon noises - valves replaced - no effect - still noisey
Vibration in footwell - MB replaced power steering pump hose
Pulley on front of engine (rubber mounted) worked loose and replaced
Radio/CD died three times
SRS warning light twice
Glovebox jammed shut - dealer had to open
Door rubber on RH rear door replaced as failed to stay in place - replacement ordered

Well over 15 visits to the dealership and 8 seperate days in the workshop ignoring the initail Gateway/computer fiasco.

Dealership have been excellent - compensation to date 2 bottles of champagne, flowers for my wife, $1500 and a new wood wheel

JUST TEETHING TROUBLES APPARANETLY.........

Am slowly getting them sorted one by one, and would still recomend the car - I fear however that the new 5 series is likely to topple the E from its perch as soon as all these problems get an airing in the motoring press - or perhaps that too will have troubles in its first year - ?

Marc777
Old 04-28-2003, 09:08 AM

2012 CLS
oh, and i forgot those bloody wipers

2 sets to date and even the dealer agrees they would drive him mad!!!!

Marc
Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 PM

e500
you know, you can get a new car or your money back and buy another one because of all the problems you got.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

mb e500 e2 e3 keyless
next????

People who read my posts must think I either have a bad car or against MB.

I think MB is a great car, I enjoy driving it but 6k miles
4-5 trips t service station...

today in nyc was hot- i noticed my temp gauge 3/4
prob soon we alll start overheating.....

but " its a new release"....

its not a new release its not a 25k car.......
Old 04-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
I just got my car back from the services. They had my car for 6 days, just to fix the aligment and still pulled to the right and the steeling wheel is off center. I also found another problem that the glovebox is stuck, I have to pull really hard to get it open. I don't know what is going on with them, don't they test the car to make sure that works before give it back to customer. I am very disappointed. I am meeting my saleman tomorrow about the NAV, and hopefully he'll let me exchange another car with the NAV.

E320 brilliant silver/ash leather , E3, E2, rear shaded, 4-zones, Parktronics, NAV(?), 7yr/100K miles, autobhann front and back, Teflon.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:58 AM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
I'm out.....

It is entirely too generous to give MB a pass simply because this is a first-year model. That excuse may fly for the knowledgeable car buyer who understands such things and is willing to live with the trade-off of new-model problems vs. being the first on the block with the new style. But for the average car buyer (i.e. someone not likely to be reading this post right now), when they spend $60K, they expect quality, reliability, and customer service. They may put up with one or two glitches, but the ad nauseum list that I'm reading on this forum is ridiculous -- electronics problems, mechanical problems, fit & finish problems. No one-- I repeat --no one (including the knowledgeable buyers on this forum IMHO) should put up with a list of problems like that. You sell yourself short by saying "oh, well' that's what I get for buying a first-year model".

While I love the W211 styling and was looking forward to an '04 E500, I have cancelled my order for two reasons: the list of recurrent problems I've seen on this forum, and MBUSA's unbelieveable lack of even the most basic customer service to solve the problems (i.e. Nav issue). Regrettably, after a long line of MB cars in the past, I am heading to other manufacturers to see the what they have to offer.

I do wish all current owners good luck with your cars, am happy for those who have new E's and love them, and hope that those with cars on order have better experiences than I've read about on this forum.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:43 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
Just for the record, I've had no problems since delivery November 2, 2002 and 5000 miles except a computer warning that the dealer fixed overnight on day 3 of ownership and I had a MB loaner for the day. The fit and finish are superb, it runs great, and I'm very happy. It's exactly what I expected based upon 3 prior models from my dealer.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Almost a Member!

I have been lucky

I have had none of the problems and I think the boards draw the buyers who have problems magnifying the extent of the problem......On the other hand this is a 1.8 billion redesign........everything is new.........there are bound to be problems and that is why you should not buy the first model year unless you are willing to deal with some issues....for such a radical redesign..........Check out the new 7......problems as well...........part of the engineering process........hang in there.......the car is amazing and a technological marvel!