E320 to E500 or CLK500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
E320 to E500 or CLK500?

Hi everyone, I am thinking of trading my E320 to get E500 or CLK 500, could you guys please help me to get the best price and the experiences on them. I had 5K miles on my car and how much would it cost if I want to trade in? I live in Boston, Massachusetts. Please help on what options should I get or not.

thank you very much.

E320 brilliant silver/ash leather, E2, E3, Parktronics, 4-zones, rear shaded, 7yr/1000, protective films.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:52 PM

2003 Toyota Prado
Thats a tough one, only you can determine which suits your priorities better, are you in need of the space and practicality of a four door? are you the image guided buyer that would trade in space and practicality for a sweet looking ride? and last but not least amongst the vast barrage of questions you need to ask yourself is how deep into your pocket are you willing to dig! a trade in this early and im guessing your going to loose out quite a bit on your current car.

In my view the CLKs look as bad as David letterman doin the macarena naked on a windy day.........ok maybe that was a bit unfair to letterman, the new CLK actually looks worse than letterman :p , it will put tailights to a new SL500 though and for a lot less money, and that my friends is comendable, hence why if i could afford one and had to buy an mb product, i would get it (Braubus Monoblock IVs anyone? )

Last edited by Mellow; 04-28-2003 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:32 PM

I agree

The previous generation CLK has a timelessness, that the new one lacks. It just does not appear to be in the same class.

Having said that, I think you will find it easier, financially speaking, to get into a CLK than a well-loaded E500. I briefly considered and priced the CLK500 before I got my E. I test drove it, and it just did not have the same oomph. When I did the pricing, a loaded CLK was coming in many thousands of dollars under a similarly loaded E500.

Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion, frankly there is no competition between the two cars. They are just two very different rides for two very different needs.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
For what its worth, I spend a lot of time between Orlando, Denver, ATL and Chicago. I rarely see the new CLK on the road. Could mean a limited release in 2003, could mean they arent selling well, could mean you could get a great deal.

I have an e500 and I have driven the CLK 500 a few times. The CLK is a great car. Lots of power, great handling, nice style, etc. Bottom line? It's a jr. CL500 at a fraction of the cost.

If having for doors isnt a consideration, you have a tough call. If you want a convertible, I think the new boby style comes out as an O4 soon, its the CLK All The Way!!

Related Article below

-----------------------------
The Second Generation Mercedes CLK
A new standard for design, handling and performance in a luxury sport coupe
Story and Photos by Mark McCormack
December XX, 2002

2003 is a significant year for Mercedes Benz. Earlier this year, Mercedes released an all-new 2003 SL Roadster for the first time in 12 years and its best-selling E-Class was completely redesigned for the first time in seven years. The CLK also receives its first major redesign this year. With the second generation CLK (W209), Mercedes moves even closer to defining the perfect sport coupe.

The styling of the original CLK was the perfect execution of a first generation Mercedes. Introduced first as a 1998, CLK (W208) sold more than 230,000 units, 40 percent of which were reportedly new Mercedes buyers. Not bad numbers for a new model entry.

Similar to the design philosophy of the new E-Class, the 2003 CLK builds on the strengths of its predecessor and then defines a new standard for design, handling and performance in a luxury sport coupe that resembles the much more expensive CL super coupe.

Excluding the familiarity of only two doors, the exterior design of the new W209 CLK bears little resemblance to the previous W208 CLK. The front end resembles the SL500, the pillar-less design adds characteristics of the CL, and the taillights are all ¡¥E.¡¦ However, the sleek, streamlined design between the two bumpers, is all CLK.

There are two new CLK coupes this year including the CLK320 and the CLK500. Mercedes is also offering the W208 CLK320 and CLK430 Cabriolet¡¦s in 2003. However, these models will not receive the new W209 body style until the 2004 model year.

As with other Mercedes, the largest difference between the two new coupes is engine size and minor exterior styling. The CLK320 is equipped with a 3.2 liter, 215 hp V-6 while the CLK500 has a 5.0 liter, 302 hp V-8, which replaces the previous CLK430 engine. How fast? The Mercedes states a 0¡V60 mph of 7.4 and 5.7 seconds, respectively. However, your enthusiasm for increased power requires that you pay a $1,000 Gas Guzzler tax on the CLK500.

Other differences between the two models include upgraded wheels and tires and more commanding, exterior accents on the CLK500. Both models receive the same driver-adaptive electronic 5-speed automatic transmission with Touch Shift.

The interior design and appearance of the CLK is a substantial improvement over the previous CLK. The interior is spacious (for a coupe) and resembles a cross between the new SL and E-Class. According to Mercedes, The new CLK class is about 3 inches longer than the previous model, thus delivering more interior and cargo space. Small numbers but they add up when you are trying to increase front and rear comfort in a relatively small space.

The 2003 CLK comes well equipped with a number of interior, handling, performance and safety features that are included in both the CLK320 and CLK500 models.

„X Premium leather seating with 10-way power front seats, each with 3-position memory.

„X CFC-free automatic climate control with dual temperature and airflow controls.

„X AM/FM stereo/weather band radio with Bose sound system with 8 speakers, including a dash-mounted center-fill speaker and a 9.1¡¨ Nd Neodymium Iron Boron high-efficiency woofer.

„X Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Automatic Slip Control (ASR).

„X The black instrument cluster includes a large center speedometer, right side tachometer and left side clock. Traditional Burl walnut is the only trim option available.

„X The front of the CLK has a 3-link with anti-dive geometry suspension and the rear has a 5-arm multilink with geometry for anti-squat and alignment control. Both the front and the rear have coil springs over gas-pressurized shock absorbers and stabilizer bar.

„X Increased, high-strength steel alloy in the body structure yields a 40 percent stiffer chassis.

„X Rack-and-pinion steering with speed sensitive power assist and integral hydraulic damper (all new this year).

„X Dual-circuit-power-assisted 4-wheel disc brakes with 11.8-inch internally ventilated discs with single-piston floating calipers on the front and 11.4-inch solid discs with dual-piston fixed-type calipers on the rear. The brakes are also equipped with ABS and Brake Assist.

„X Standard safety equipment includes adaptive front airbags, front/rear side airbags and curtain side airbags.

Most of the individual options available on other M-B models are also available on the CLK. These include COMMAND System (Navigation); Distronic (intelligent cruise control); Keyless Go (push button start); Parktronic; and a CD changer. Missing options on the CLK (available on other MB cars in 2003) include Active Ventilated Seats, a true in dash CD Changer, and Airmatic Dual Suspension.

The base prices for the 2003 CLK are $44,565 for the CLK320 and $52,865.00 for the CLK500, including destination charge. Like buying other Mercedes models, you will spend an additional $1,375 for the K3 Option Package (Sunroof and Power Rear Window Shade). However, unlike most other M-B models, premium leather seating and 60/40 folding rear seats come standard on both models. There are two other option packages, the Appearance Package (analogous to the Sport Package on other M-B models) and the K4 (Bi-Xenon Headlights and Headlight Washers). Bi-Xenon refers to the fact that both hi and low beams are Xenon. Most items in the Appearance Package are standard on the CLK500 and is therefore only available on the CLK320.

The CLK delivers visually and on the road. This car is all Mercedes and the sleek styling represents a Mercedes aimed squarely at a younger, more aggressive buyer. If you are looking for a luxury sport coupe, you cannot go wrong with the new CLK.

2003 CLK Specifications*
Model CLK320 Coupe CLK500 Coupe
MSRP** $44,565.00 $52,865.00
Engine
CLK 320 - 3,199-cc SOHC 18-valve 90¢X V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block, alloy heads
CLK 500 - 4,966-cc SOHC 24-valve 90¢X V-8. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block, alloy heads

Net Power
215 hp @ 5,700 rpm 302 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Net Torque
229 lb-ft @ 3,000 - 4,600 rpm 339 lb-ft @ 2,700 ¡V 4,250 rpm
Compression ratio 10.0:1 10.0:1
Curb Weight 3,515 lb 3,585 lb

Fuel Economy City / Highway) 19 / 27 16 / 23
Acceleration (0¡V60 mph) 7.4 seconds 5.7 seconds

Fuel requirements: Premium unleaded, 91 pump octane.

* From Mercedes Benz USA Web Site
**MSRP includes $665 transportation and handling charge.

Initial Impressions ¡V 2003 CLK500
2003 CLK500 Silver / Charcoal with K3 Option Package

„X The car has a sleek look and the front end is very familiar via other Mercedes. However, the new look is less unique than the previous CLK.

„X Two things that stand out the first time you see the CLK: 1) the trunk appears very small and 2) it is strange to look at a car without a B Pillar (this is the structural part of the car most noticeable where the front and rear windows come together).

„X There is no mistaking the two but the CLK does resemble the much more expensive CL500 (Base Price: $91, 415). This is a positive.

„X The 17¡¨ wheels and Z rated tires give the CLK an aggressive stance. However, different front and rear wheel sizes significantly reduce tire life by limiting tire rotation options.

„X The interior is very nice. The leather seats look great, the lines are clean and the car is much more modern that the previous model¡¦s interior.

„X The automatic shoulder strap arm is convenient but a bit strange at first.

„X The seats are supportive and I felt immediately connected when I sat down. Plenty of head room for all but the tallest of people.

„X The well designed dash and controls on the steering wheel put everything at your fingertips.

„X The Bose Stereo delivers high quality sound.

„X On the initial drive, I could immediately feel the power of the V-8.

„X The handling was tight and responsive and the car was rock solid on the open road.

„X The braking system added increased confidence in more aggressive driving conditions.

An Engine Neutral Comparison ¡V the CLK Vs. Other ¡¦03 Cars in the M-B Lineup

4,966-cc SOHC 24-valve 90¢X V-8. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block, alloy heads

Model
CLK500 Coupe E500 Sedan CL500 Coupe SL500

Net Power
302 hp @ 5,600 rpm Same Same Same
Net Torque
339 lb-ft @ 2,700 - 4,250 rpm Same Same Same
Curb Weight
3,585 lb 3,815 lb 4,070 lb 4,045 lb
Acceleration (0-60 mph)
5.7 sec 6.2 sec 6.1 sec 6.1 sec
MSRP**
$52,865.00 $55,515.00 $91,415.00 $86, 655
Old 05-03-2003, 08:26 PM

2004 Audi S4, 2003 CLK 500
When I did the pricing, a loaded CLK was coming in many thousands of dollars under a

I don't understand how a CLK-500 priced thousands of dollars less than a loaded E-500. My CLK-500 cost $64,000. That includes K3,K4, Parktronic, Command Navigation System, Phone with Voice Recognition, Keyless Go, CD changer, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Heated seats and Pewter metallic paint. I am pretty sure that a E-500 would not cost much more.

Last edited by rocky; 05-03-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The E class does have many more optional features than the CLK...a fully loaded E500 will almost 70k I believe.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
I think the new CLK's design has regressed. It looks less muscular compared to the previous generation. From the rear 3/4 angle, the shape looks similar to the Integra.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not to pick a bone or anything, but the new E's rear is virtually identical to the CLK. It's pretty much grown on me.

On a more general note...MB as an entire lineup has gone "less muscular" over the last 10 years or so. The boxy look is long gone...ie. Old SL to new SL, old CL to new CL; just about every model line. Some people like it (lots of new buyers) and some hate it (lots of the old, long time MB buyers).
Old 05-04-2003, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
500amg, hehe, it's funny to see the different responses of an "E" owner and a "CLK" owner...no bias involved, right?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
thank you very much for all of your comments. I just took a test drive on the E500 and really like it, lots of power. I am waiting for my saleman to confirm that MB will pay the taxes and all the extra that I put on the car. I will go for E500.

thank you

E320 brilliant silver/ash, E2, E3, parktronics, NAV, rear shaded, 4 zones, protective films front and back.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500amg, hehe, it's funny to see the different responses of an "E" owner and a "CLK" owner...no bias involved, right?
Actually no It's not included in the sig, but a 2004 E320 4-matic is coming soon. All I meant was that the recent redesigns are all inline with each other...both in terms of family resemblance and a reduction of the "boxy" look for a "sleeker" look. I'm a "sleeker" look guy, which is why we stayed away from MB before...just a bit too boxy for me. I love the new direction now though!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM

rocky

That's right, man. My fully loaded bad-girl cost me upward for $73K with taxes and that is with a 2K discount off of the MSRP.

Duhh, of course, it is more expensive, they are two different classes of cars with different option packages. Lest we forget the CLK is based on the C platform. It is my understanding, though, that you get more standard on the CLK. We suckers with Es dont' even get Xenons as standard, and that doesn't change on the E55 either. Nice, very nice.

Anyway, I am not trying to undermine the choice of the CLK owners, as I have said, the CLK owner is (presumably) from a different breed. A more apt comparison will be between the CLK and the NEW CLE, which hasn't even been announced yet.