E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer Prepurchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Prepurchase Inspection

I currently have a W211 (2005) that I bought new. I am looking at possibly buying a 2004-2007 AMG SL class with low miles. If I take it to a MB dealer for the PPI, do they have access through their system as to repairs/issues that were performed on the car at any other MB service department? Will they share it with me? I have indentified a couple of candidates that I would like to have checked out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You only need to provide the VIN to get a VMI. But it depends on the dealer if they're willing to run a print out for you. Some will, some won't. If you plan on a full ppi done at the dealer, they might include it as part of the inspection since you're paying for the ppi.

I'd also recommend taking it to a good body shop and have them take a look (and run the paint meter over it.) CarFax, AutoCheck, etc., sometimes don't show body work, and never do if it was done without a report and an insurance company.

Sounds like you're doing your homework. A full ppi, all paperwork, body/frame inspection, and a paper trail without gaps is your best defense.

Good luck.