E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'04 e320 Cold Start tap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Drivers: 2019 Tesla Model 3+, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, + a few non-street legal race cars
'04 e320 Cold Start tap?

Our '04 E320 just turned 90K miles. It's been a great work horse. So reliable that we've nicknamed it "The Water Buffalo" (Strong, no fuss, always there for you). We simply keep up on the oil changes, regular service schedules, and recently replaced the Thrust Arm Bushings. The only issue (which was minor) was a dealer covered replacement of the SBC system.
It was my wife's daily driver but now I'm taking it over after we got rid of my daily driver. MBZ's are relatively new to me. But I recently noticed on cold starts, a tapping sound for the first 3 -4 seconds. I'm not sure if this is new, if it's always been there, or if this is typical. Before I switch to a heavier oil, I wanted to get some feedback on this.
Also, at 90K miles, any recommendations for timing belts, seals, etc? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Don't use any oil other than one recommended by MB. In the USA, Mobil1 0w-40 is by far the most available option.

The tapping is the hydraulic tappets bleeding down overnight. It is completely normal and harmless on this engine. Don't give it a second thought.

There is no timing belt to change on this engine, it uses a multi-link timing chain.