E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cam seal issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matic Elegante
Cam seal issue?

I noticed a couple of drops of oil under car a few nights ago. Today I was finally able to get the car up on the lift. Closer inspection reveals the the upper cam seal on the rear left side of the engine appears to be leaking. The right side also looks likes its leaking but there is some sort of of what appears to be timing measurement on that one in lieu of a distributor cap. My question is who else has experienced this and what is the cost associated with fixing it? The left cam seal doesn't look like it has anything to secure the end plate on the rear. I just turned 85,000 miles its an 06 4 matic V6.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I believe this is exactly the same issue that was fixed by my dealer when I took the car in for an unrelated issue. This was covered for me at no cost under the CPO warranty so I don't know how much it cost.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-invoice.html

I was told by my dealer that they have been seeing this often lately. I'm glad the dealer found and fixed this issue while doing a general inspection of the car after fixing a defective speaker.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Had the same issue on my 06 E350 at 20k miles. Fixed under warranty. Mine was leaking real bad. Probably not nearly as expensive to fix as the dreaded balance shaft issue on the early M272, beware of the check-engine light!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Anyone have any idea how much this would have cost of not under warranty? With my previous cars I received regular invoices with dollar figures for warranty covered repairs and it was good to just have some idea what was being done and much it cost so I know if the extended warranty was worthwhile but my dealer seems to have "N/C" labelled line items for warranty work so I have no idea.