E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

radio/nav not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 c240, 2008 e350 4matic
radio/nav not working

Well I started the car yesterday and as I was backing out the radio just cut out. Nothing else worked (nav, cd door, bluetooth) I did a lot of reading of past posts and tried many of the possible fixes such as fuses and finally had a friend at an indi run star diagnostics to help locate the problem. This showed a fault in the fiber optic loop and that all the components except for the agw werent recognized. Where do I go from here?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Check if all the plastic connectors who hold the different fiber optic cables together are still properly connected and closed. Maybe a connector broke off from one of the devices within the MOST loop?

That's what I would do at least, but remote crystal ball troubleshooting is always a bit harder, you know!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SLK230/09 C300/06 E500
Had same problem with my 2006 E500--No Command--went outside pulled away turned on radio and nada. Nothing---I read posts which suggested disconnecting battery for 20 minutes for a hard boot and it worked!!!!! Just had to sync windows, sun roof and ESP. So far so good--two days--what happened, don't know--firmware update??
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 c240, 2008 e350 4matic
ok Ive done alot of reading about the most system and found that you can do some good manual diagnostics.

When you turn on the head unit the sysytem sends out a series of 9 flashes through the optical system to start each component and then each component generates a response from the electrical wake up call by sending 2 reg flashes and a short flash. The ring goes in order starting with the agw then head unit - cd changer - bluetooth and various communication modules in rear and passenger side of trunk and lastly the nav module in the drivers side compartment of the trunk.

If you go to each component you can remove the optical connection and on the plug are arrows showing the direction of data in the cable. (if you keep in mind the order of the components in the ring you can start at say the nav module and if that checks out ok for everything, know that the optical signal is complete through all the components up to there) If you remove the plug and press power on the head unit you can check the plug to see if the ingoing cable is showing the 9 flashes and then also the plug socket to see the responding 2.5 flashes the unit should generate. The plug has a blue keeper in the middle that you can pop out which then allows you to remove the optical cables (takes a firm but careful pull). If you remove the outgoing cable and plug the plug back into the unit you can press power on the head unit again and see if the unit is continuing on the 9 flashes to the next unit.

My nav unit showed that it was gettingthe 9 input flashes and generating response flashes but did not continue the 9 flashes to the next unit. I picked up a fiber optic bypass coupler (part # A 000 545 44 84) at the dealer ( about $7) removed both optic cables from the nav module plug and connected them with the connector. Everything now works except nav because I have to get a new module (must be a common thing that goes because they are expensive used, ......anyone have one cheap? A 211 870 10 85)

I hope this helps someone with a similar problem (I'm not an expert or anything so please correct me if I have something wrong)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
You need a nav drive? I have one in storage wrapped in bubble wrap! PM me if you need more info!