E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

05 E55 with engine ticking/clicking noise at low RPM's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2008 CLS550
05 E55 with engine ticking/clicking noise at low RPM's

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here and purchased a 05 E55 in July of last year. Love the car, but have slowly noticed the expenses rising. I have Easy Care as my extended warranty but recently I had my car at the dealership to diagnose the sound mentioned and he thought it was a loose flywheel bolt but that turned out to be fine. The dealer states that to truly diagnose the problem they would have to take the engine apart which would run $2200, and then any repairs on top of that.

The sound appears when the car is in a low gear and the RPM's rising but then dissipates as the gear switches. Once in say 4th gear the sound does not come anymore. The sound is present whether the engine is cold or hot. Anyone with any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows any trustworthy mechanics that good look at the car in IL, other than the dealer that would be great as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by windycity1
Hello everyone, I am fairly new here and purchased a 05 E55 in July of last year. Love the car, but have slowly noticed the expenses rising. I have Easy Care as my extended warranty but recently I had my car at the dealership to diagnose the sound mentioned and he thought it was a loose flywheel bolt but that turned out to be fine. The dealer states that to truly diagnose the problem they would have to take the engine apart which would run $2200, and then any repairs on top of that.

The sound appears when the car is in a low gear and the RPM's rising but then dissipates as the gear switches. Once in say 4th gear the sound does not come anymore. The sound is present whether the engine is cold or hot. Anyone with any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows any trustworthy mechanics that good look at the car in IL, other than the dealer that would be great as well.

Thanks.
Post your question and concerns in this forum. You'll get plenty of responses. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/

E55 AMG, E63 AMG (W210, W211, W212) forum
Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2008 CLS550
Thanks 220S! Done.