E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My car arrived, too!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
My car arrived, too!

When it rains, it pours. I just picked up my car--an E500 somewhat like STKLAW's, but the non-sport version. I got the Xenons, but I preferred the reddish burl with Tectite grey and a charcoal interior. I am still trying to parse through the controls.

One thing I am interested in is adding on an XM radio receiver. My car has no auxiliary input, so far as I am aware. Therefore I will have either to get a unit which uses an RF modulator, or rig something to the cassette deck. Obviously I don't want wires all over the place. I also have to figure out where to mount the antenna.

Any suggestions on particular units, where to mount them, etc., would be very welcome.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the HK head unit has no aux input?

check out the SkyFi by Delphi, small and portable, it can broadcast on an FM frequency,
Old 05-10-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also looking at putting an XM radio in. Just in the planning stage right now. I am looking at using the Delphi control head, and mounting it in the center console (yes, you have to open it to change frequencies, but it looks clean, and i figure with no commercials i won;t be changing that often). The FM modulator unit provides power to the control head. There is a 15 ft antenna extension available (not the 50 ft home one) with a built in signal amplifier. My interior is black, so I'm hoping the antenna will mount on the back deck behind the rear seat, and still have clear view to the satellites.

Anyone tried this yet??