Steering wheel air bag cover rattling and squeaking driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Steering wheel air bag cover rattling and squeaking driving me nuts

Has anyone had an issue with the steering wheel air bag cover rattling and squeaking? After 3 months I finally figured out the source of the annoying squeaking and rattling sound that I have been hearing from the instrument cluster area. It is coming from the airbag cover! I can duplicate the sound by placing my fingers at the top part of the air bag cover and slowly lifting it a bit as there is some give there. This is really annoying on imperfect roads (many in the DC area) and really takes away from the driving experience. Any idea on what is causing this and how I can fix this?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
It sounds like screws on back of steering wheel that hold airbag (one one each side) got loose. Try to tieten them.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I found the screws and they are really not where the top cover of the air bag is. I am referring to the top cover with the Mercedes logo that also encompasses the horn of the car. The airbag cover seems to be loose at the top right hand corner and that's where it squeaks and rattles. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I replaced the leather wheel with a wooden one. There are a number of wires beneath the air bag that attach to a slip ring. They have to be routed carefully or they will rattle. If you or others have been into that area before, you might check there.