E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone have Voice Activated Phone Information?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:08 AM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Anyone have Voice Activated Phone Availability Information?

Greetings. I have been travelling for a month. Now in Melbourne, Australia for my brother's wedding. Wonderful city, not enough E Classes though. Where are you Callaway????

I have been told of the options on navigation in a call from my dealer. But, they didn't know anything about the voice activation I also paid for. Anyone else have news on the availability of The Voice Activated Phone option for the E500?

Jeff

Last edited by jhb; 05-13-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 AM

BMW 535d Touring
What would you like to know? Isn't it also on your SL500? At the risk of stating what you already know, the voice recognition system enables you to dial completely hands free via voice commands.

e.g. Dial NAME, where name is a name associated with a number that you have previously recorded & entered, automatically dials the number. The system sound is clear and the microphone sensitive, although interior background noise or voices often confuses the system.

The system also recognizes commands for the CD and radio, i.e. changing channels or tracks or CD's, and records short messages for use later. It also distributes voice Nav commands - spoken by a very cultured but quite sexy female voice. As far as I can work out, you cannot change or request Nav CD of DVD instructions or directions via voice commands.

Strange, but I never use it much, prefering the readout in the cluster and the buttons on the steering wheel, which certainly does require a fair time with eyes off the road, but the voice system sure is a good talking point.

In the UK, completely hands free telephone operation will be made mandatory at some stage soon.

Last edited by Mustard; 05-13-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Thanks Mustard. I have corrected my initial post to be more clear that what information I need is as to availability on the E500. Yes, I do have it on the SL500 and I rely on it when driving that car. I consider it a safety investment. My question is whether anyone has more information than my dealer on whether Voice Activation is now available on the E500s to be delivered with navigation. It would be ridiculous for me to accept a replacement car with only part of what I paid for last October (included in my lease was the navigation and voice activated V60 phone).

Jeff
Old 05-13-2003, 09:22 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Er, I see.

Sorry for the superfluos info.

Hope you get the whole caboodle with the E500.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, from what i understand, the mail holdup with that was the Navi unit so the information should be making its way down the pipe shortly. By the way, the Voice control you will be getting on the new E is Linguatronic, true voice control for the Navigation nuit especially which is sorely needed. At least this is the information i have gotten in the past. I do not know if this has changed lately.
Good luck and have a safe trip!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500
Voice Activation E500

My dealer told me it was fixed and will be installed for owners that prepaid for it first. The problem was feedback through the speakers, not getting good voice recognition. I was told that my kit was on order and would schedule an install date as soon as it arrived. ( they told me within 10 days ) We'll see