E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Radio glitch again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Radio glitch again

One day after I got my car back, the radio just glitched again - same glitch I had last week just before the Tele-Aid and SRS failed:

- Radio spontaneously turns off
- Reset fails
- Reset a minute later turns it on again
- Then it spontaneously starts playing CD instead of AM radio
- Off and on again fixes it

So now I am afraid that the fix was not complete and I'll see more malfunctions...

Michael
Old 05-16-2003, 07:41 PM

Radio glitch

I had a similar problem for a week where the audio system would lose all power. I brought the car in and asked to check the audio gateway. They could find no problem including the audio gateway. I had read on some forum of someone who said that certain brands of blank cd's once burned can effect the audio system. I had burned about ten cd's into compilations and never had a problem till I realized that all my audio problems occured during the playing of one of these cd's. Once I junked that particular cd I haven't had any problems since.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Hey,

In my case somewhat different - I was not playing a CD but AM radio when it powered down; plus the CD is a standard CD - (Getz/Gilberto, Bossa Nova from around 1964, including "The Girl from Ipanema". Not that you're interested!)
Old 05-16-2003, 09:16 PM

2004 E500
Me, too...

I guess I've also joined the club of the Audio Misfits, since my CD changer just went south (no power whatsoever now) after some static was heard through the speakers while playing a Blink 182 CD (not that I blame the audio system for that reaction).

So this will my second visit to the shop regarding the audio system (the first was due to the clock soft button being dimmed out and therefore unusable, which was due to a fault GPS antenna... which, during replacement of the rear glass to replace the antenna, they scratch the paint around the glass!).

I really love this car, but these little annoyances are starting to build up... I mean, I've had more issues with this car in 6 months than I've add with a Ford Expedition in 2 years.

Ugh.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
My radio went into the silence frozen mode today at the end of a 1000 mile business trip across Texas. Thank God it was in the last 40 miles! I was using the CD player, but a store bought one so the blank idea seems to not apply to me. I also noticed the car was drifting to the right again after I had this looked at. I, like others find these annoying in a $65K car.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:35 PM

Q & R
Re: Me, too...

Originally posted by MadManAboutTown

I really love this car, but these little annoyances are starting to build up... I mean, I've had more issues with this car in 6 months than I've add with a Ford Expedition in 2 years.

Ugh.
I have a Platinum Blue E500 Sport on 9order with the HK Logic 7 and no CD changer, just the sinlge disc. No Nav, no phone. Do you think these radio glitches affect all the audio setups? Or just certain configurations? Its discooncerting to see a $60K car having to go to the shop so much. But would you say that those service trips were all related to the electrical/tech stuff and not so much the guts of the car itself? Maybe your Expedition was the same way?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:49 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I have the same setup - HK, no changer. One weird incident so far. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:08 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
...would you say that those service trips were all related to the electrical/tech stuff and not so much the guts of the car itself?[/B]
Definitely. That is why they are not that much of a worry.

MW
Old 05-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Radio glitch again

Originally posted by mwillems
One day after I got my car back, the radio just glitched again - same glitch I had last week just before the Tele-Aid and SRS failed:

- Radio spontaneously turns off
- Reset fails
- Reset a minute later turns it on again
- Then it spontaneously starts playing CD instead of AM radio
- Off and on again fixes it

So now I am afraid that the fix was not complete and I'll see more malfunctions...

Michael
throw it away........................let me know where you threw it

i'm sure the dealer will eventually get it fixed.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:49 PM
mco

ML430, E500
Re: Re: Radio glitch again

These problems have been common with the audio. It is supposedly a problem with overheating of the unit in the trunk. MB is working on both a software and hardware fix, but it was not ready as of last week. I have the same problem that is occuring about once a month and then resolves spontaneously.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:41 PM

E500 Sport
"Knock of Wood" for me, I've had no problems what so ever with the entire car!!! It a Jan 03 build, Feb 28 03 deliever with 3000 miles on it. Having said that, the longest drive time has only been about a hour. So when I take my first long trip, who know, something might pop up.

Mark
Old 05-17-2003, 07:19 PM

2004 E500
Re: Re: Me, too...

Originally posted by cyeung65
But would you say that those service trips were all related to the electrical/tech stuff and not so much the guts of the car itself? Maybe your Expedition was the same way?
cyeung65,

Yes, I would agree that it probably has to due to the high-tech nature of this car that uniquely separates it from the competition. But the Ford was just plain wierd, what with the wipers just going off by themselves (and they weren't rain-sensing).

Personally, I think it's a glitch in the fiber optic network, since I've heard loud static throught the speakers right before something went wrong. Maybe it is an amp overheating , but since it has affected different components my guess is it's the network's ability to handle power surges (the CD changer is no longer powered/recognized).

But when the audio system works, I have to admit that it's great
Old 05-18-2003, 12:53 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
And my radio just did it again.

- Turns off spontanously while palying radio (FM this time)
- Then unable to turn it on for a minute
- Then I can turn it on again
- Then after playing radio for 2 seconds it spontanously starts tp play the CD
- Then I can turn it back to radio

So... all's not yet well. More modules to exchange.

MW
Old 05-18-2003, 12:56 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Hi,

Originally posted by mco
These problems have been common with the audio. It is supposedly a problem with overheating of the unit in the trunk. MB is working on both a software and hardware fix, but it was not ready as of last week.
Where did you hear this? My dealer apparently does not know about this. It would be helpful to have some source I can quote.

Michael
Old 05-20-2003, 12:23 AM

2003 E320
cyeung65

You Will have one glitch.

It is associtated with the HK logic 7 system reported by me in another tread.

Basicly the HK surround sound system, when in the LOGIC 7 mode FM or CD playback, has a glitch in ALL NEW E CLASS CARS as confirmed by MB Factory techs. that involves the RIGHT REAR DOOR AND HAT SHELF speakers to "cut in and out" like a bad speaker wire connection ONLY IF/WHEN the fader is full AFT and ballance is FULL right or one segment left of full right.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:19 PM

2003 E320
Static in Audio System HK

I have my E320 in the shop as I'm typing this. This is the 2nd time it has been in the shop for "loss of power". The first time there was no static involved and the Audio Gateway was replaced, search my name for the thred for the information on that, this time loss of audio is preceeded by static that becomes louder and louder until the power is removed from the whole system. This is a heat related problem that has been discussed before. My dealor says that have seen about 6 custermers this week and last week with the same problems. There is no fix per my service advisor AND per the Maintence Tech that I deal with there. Below is a copy of one of the latest Star Bullitins regarding this. Due to formatting and scanning the first part is a bit jumbled up. It is dated May 27, 2003.
--
rT\ Mercedes-Benz (~
'<:::;:~' star bulletin
.~I.
Date: Ma
y27 2003
DTB '
Order No.: P-B-82.60/215c
Supersedes: P-B-82.60/215b dated March 10, 2003
Group: 54
Revision: Procedure Updated
SUBJECT: Model 211.065/070/076 Model Year 2003
Intermittent Loss of Sound
If you receive customer reports in the above vehicles of the audio system having the following conditions with Audio Gateway (AGW) OTC code 0004 stored (control module was switched off due to excessive temperature), the AGW software may need to be updated.
. Intermittent audio
. Audio head unit locks up
" Audio head unit displays "black screen"
Software Update Procedure
1. Verify current AGW Hardware/Software version
Select the correct model Select Control Units
Select Information and communication
Select Audio, video, navigation and telematics
Select AGW - Audio Gateway (MOST network management, diagnosis gateway, radio tuner)
Select Control unit version
rn Note: AGW part number (listed as "MB object number for hardware and software") and SV'J status.
Software updating is possible on all AGW part numbers except 211 820 61 89 (Basic) or 211 820 62 89 (Logic 7 -Sound). If the vehicle is equipped with either of these, then the AGW must be replaced prior to the continuation of the software update procedure.
SW prior to 14/03 on eligible AGW's requires a software update.
If the AGW already has a software status 14/03 and a OTC 0004 is stored, please contact the Technical Assistance Center via authorized dealer personnel.
This bulletin has been created and maintained in accordance with MBUSA-SLP 5.1, Document and Data Control, and MBUSA-SLP 16.1, Control of Quality Records.
~. @ 2003 Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. AJI rights reserved. Reproduction or translation In whole Mercedes-Benz Canada, Inc. or in part Is not permitted without authorization from the Dealer 'v\Ior1<shop Servl~$ publi$her. Printed in U.S.A. w.wI.MBUSA.com 1-800-FOR-MERCedes