E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

tailback assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
tailback assist?

Automobile magazine is talking about a new feature that is part of the sensotronic braking system for 2004. To quote, "tailback assist attempts to ease the stress of stop and go traffic by removing the driver from the braking process - at speeds below 30MPH, whenever the accelerator is released, the car automatically decelerates to a stop, but all that braking will make you look like a nervous nelly".

what's the deal here, you can't coast in this car without it braking for you? not sure I like the sound of this, does the 2003 drive like this? i don't recall anything like this during my test drive, but maybe I never tried to coast.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500
that would suck, and it will be very annoying for hte people behind when the light keeps coming on. even people still do that now, i just cut them off, if you dont need to brake, then ya dont need to brake
Old 05-18-2003, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I think you're misinterpreting what this feature does. I believe that when coming to a stop, the calipers are released slightly causing a smoother stop. It also keeps the brakes engaged while lifting off the pedal when stopped and releases the brakes when the accelerator is pressed. This is helpful in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
all I did was quote the article, since the 2004 is not available to drive yet, there is no first hand account I could provide. unless the article has mis-interpreted it.

in the same magazine, they did a road test of the SL500, and claimed it was impossible to stop smoothly with sensotronic. i haven't seen any owners here saying that about their W211s.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
This feature is already available on 2003 W211s (not in the U.S. though). It's called SBC stop. It works just as you described but it has to be activated in order for it to work. So unless you activate it the car will not brake if you let off the accelerator. I'm not sure how to activate it since my E doesn't have it. Maybe it will be available in 2004 for cars in the U.S. too.

Another feature is called SBC Hold in which the car keeps still at, say, a traffic light, so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake. I believe that the way you activate this feature is to depress the brake fully after you come to a stop. Again, this is not available on U.S. W211s (I wish it were).

Last edited by MPTLPTR; 05-18-2003 at 07:41 PM.