E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Panorama roof and Florida sunshine- A Bad Combo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Panorama roof and Florida sunshine- A Bad Combo?

Any comments on the panorama roof and whether or not it will be too bright in sunny Florida. Does the car get very hot in direct sunlight? If I currently drive with the sunroof shade almost always closed, am I crazy to get this option?
Old 05-19-2003, 11:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
I too live in S FL and drive with the shade closed, but it's not due the heat as the tint on the moon roof works quite well. I think the pano roof has a electric shade but I don't know if it's a preforated shade ala Porsche Targa (this lets heat in for sure I drove one) or non preforated, if it's non, it should be OK. Can your dealer let you test a 500 or 320 with pano?
Old 05-19-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
This is an isolated report and unconfirmed. My salesperson tells me that the dealership has received complaints from some (unknown percent) people who have the pano roof. They say it's too hot in Houston. My gut tells me that I'm too picky about heat to chance it.

It would be great it they could let you keep one over a weekend. Everybody's tolerance is different.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I think I would definitely get the solar panels if I had my pano roof in a hot climate! I live at the beach in LA, so it's pretty bright here, and I run with the pano shade open or the pano open to the sky 99% of the time, and it's not too bright at all. I only close the shade if I'm going to be parked in the sun a long time. The shade is definitely electric, it's not perforated, and it's extremely easy to open and close. The pano roof is one of my favorite features of the car!

If I currently drive with the sunroof shade almost always closed, am I crazy to get this option?
Maybe!

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 05-20-2003 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL550
Definitely get the solar panel option. You can tell the difference when you get in the car. It does not have that real stuffy hot air inside. As for the shades, they are one-touch open and you can close them in any position along the way so you can maybe get the best of both worlds. And yes, they are solid cloth so it covers the glass completely. Love my pano roof!
Old 05-20-2003, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
Actually is not really a bad combo.. why dont you add a solar panel.. it will be a great combination for all of them... I'm sure you will enjoy it so much if you add solar panel..