E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Thinking about buying an E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
Thinking about buying an E350

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a 2007/8 E350 and thought I should definitely run it by you guys.

I have owned a Mercedes E300 many years ago and just can't wait any longer.

The only two things that I know that I definitely want are 18" wheels and a navigation system.

Is there anything else that I should definitely consider? Like 4-Matic? (I live in South Carolina and don't think I need much help with ice or snow)

Also, will I be satisfied with the horsepower in the E350? I have seen people say the 550 is the way to go.

What do you say guys? Anything I should know? Any advice is very welcomed!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I highly recommend 4Matic. It's not just for snow. It will give you better traction and safety on slippery/wet roads. I wouldn't buy a car without it no matter where I live.

I would stay away from anything with low profile tires like the plague. Unless you enjoy wasting money fixing tire damage while getting lower MPGs and depreciated performance.

If you are not open to buying an E550, don't test drive it, as if you test drive one, you will probably fall in love with the extra power... But it will cost you more to buy, as they are rare and if you keep it for a long time will be expensive to maintain with the high cost of Airmatic components. Also for whatever it is worth, probably 99.5% of people could not tell the difference between a E350 or E550 so you can probably get much better value for your money with a E350 where the E550 is more of an indulgence...

Good luck. You will love your new car. 2007+ is the way to go so you've already your research well.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I highly recommend 4Matic. It's not just for snow. It will give you better traction and safety on slippery/wet roads. I wouldn't buy a car without it no matter where I live.

I would stay away from anything with low profile tires like the plague. Unless you enjoy wasting money fixing tire damage while getting lower MPGs and depreciated performance.

If you are not open to buying an E550, don't test drive it, as if you test drive one, you will probably fall in love with the extra power... But it will cost you more to buy, as they are rare and if you keep it for a long time will be expensive to maintain with the high cost of Airmatic components. Also for whatever it is worth, probably 99.5% of people could not tell the difference between a E350 or E550 so you can probably get much better value for your money with a E350 where the E550 is more of an indulgence...

Good luck. You will love your new car. 2007+ is the way to go so you've already your research well.
That makes no sense at all..
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I missed the logic there too. 18" is not such a low profile tire, and it's not like the OP said he lives in Manhattan!

If you'd like help finding a greqat one at a good price, carefully selected and inspected, let me know. I've gotten cars for a bunch of people on MBWorld and can provide references. And hundreds elsewhere.

Bruce
Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Becks Imports
Yeah, I missed the logic there too. 18" is not such a low profile tire, and it's not like the OP said he lives in Manhattan!

If you'd like help finding a greqat one at a good price, carefully selected and inspected, let me know. I've gotten cars for a bunch of people on MBWorld and can provide references. And hundreds elsewhere.

Bruce
I never said 18 inch tires are low profile. I just advised the OP to stay away from low profile tires if it can be avoided, based on the horror stores I have read on the forum from those who have low profile tires.

Might want to limit the feedback to what I actually said as opposed to what you thought I said.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by SethP
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a 2007/8 E350 and thought I should definitely run it by you guys. - Good call on a MY 2007+, many improvements.
I have owned a Mercedes E300 many years ago and just can't wait any longer.

The only two things that I know that I definitely want are 18" wheels and a navigation system. - Get a Sport model with P2 package, it'll have both.

Is there anything else that I should definitely consider? Like 4-Matic? (I live in South Carolina and don't think I need much help with ice or snow) - as mentioned, 4Matic is great for heavy rain and not just snow.

Also, will I be satisfied with the horsepower in the E350? I have seen people say the 550 is the way to go. - that's personal. There's a significant difference in power, also an increase in fuel consumption especially in the city. Highway mileage is comparable. I have not driven an E350 but have driven an E320 and also my E430. The E550 is faster than both by a considerable margin. The low end torque is addictive. Also, as mentioned, airmatic components will be more expensive to replace.

What do you say guys? Anything I should know? Any advice is very welcomed! -
Try for a late model 2007 or 2008 - early 07's had a known defect in both the V6 and V8 engines where a balancer/camshaft sprocket was made too soft and was worn by the timing chain, requiring replacement and it's not a cheap procedure. Warranty and even goodwill will cover it, but better to avoid. You can run you prospective car's VIN, get the engine serial and compare it to the range of affected engines available on a DTB posted on this site.

Not much else to add, I think the facelifted W211's are excellent cars. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by BenzboyW210; 05-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I never said 18 inch tires are low profile. I just advised the OP to stay away from low profile tires if it can be avoided, based on the horror stores I have read on the forum from those who have low profile tires.

Might want to limit the feedback to what I actually said as opposed to what you thought I said.
It just read like your low-profile comment was directed at his "I want 18" wheels" statement. Sorry.

And still not sure what you meant by depreciated performance!

Bruce