E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 W211 Wagon Rear Hatch Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4-Matic Wagon
2004 W211 Wagon Rear Hatch Noise

Hi - I've noticed an intermittent noise coming from the rear trunk/hatch mechanism in my 2004 E320 W211 4-Matic Wagon. Car has 30K miles on it, and I've only had it a couple weeks.

The noise sounds very much like the trunk hatch checking itself, or locking, or something. It's a click/clunk. Very mechanical. It happens at odd intervals and does not seem to be the result of any sort of actions on my part while driving.

I'm noticing the sound more regularly when I stop (like at a stoplight.)

The car stops, and then the trunk 'adjusts' - like some computer is checking to make sure it's still locked...

It's the automatic/push button type hatch (not manual).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Mine is quiet.
Only makes a noise when in motion. (The hatch, not the car.)

My Wagon is full of strange noises, but not from the hatch.

Congrats on the low milage Wagon...How much did ya pay...?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4-Matic Wagon
Your hatch makes that clicking noise in motion?

Yes, there are a lot of noises in this car, most I'm ok with, I understand there are a lot of systems and technology packed in there.

I bought the wagon from a friend of a friend. It was her father's car, and he passed away. I had been searching for a low-miles '07/'08, but this was too good to pass up. Kind of old-man colors (Desert silver/light tan leather) but it's totally optioned out and with the low miles (and the extended warranty) I couldn't pass it up.

As far as cost? Let's just say it was very reasonable : )
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Your hatch makes that clicking noise in motion?
Yes, when the hatch is in motion, either up or down, it makes plenty of clicking and groning noises. The hatch cannot move while the car is moving.

Therefore, as I said above, there is no noise from the hatch or the hatch locking mechanism when the car is in motion. (That I am aware of anyway)

Congrats on the low milage, in warranty wagon for a reasonable price...Don't find them deals often.

Got my wagon from ebay for a good price, but the miles was medium high and I had to purchase warranty..Still happy with the beast, drives good and takes a licking..Best of all, my dog loves the sound of the hatch going up, that means he is going for a ride..