E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E320 CDI Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
2005 E320 CDI Questions

Hello all, new to this forum. I recently purchased a used 2005 E320 CDI and I have some questions. First, I will tell you a bit about the car. It has about 78000 miles on it, I have put about 1k on it since I got it. It is perfect for what I wanted. Drive about 150 miles a day for a commute...it was my somewhat economical replacement commuter vehicle. So far averaging about 38.7mpg. I am about to take it to an independent shop for an oil change and some other work. I am thinking around $1500 in work on it. Here is what I think it needs, any insight would be helpful:

1. It is calling for Service E+ in 600 miles. I am not entirely sure what this will entail but I have gotten the E = about 5 hours labor. Please elaborate if you have more info.

2. I think it needs a thermostat. Operating temperature fluctuates quite a bit, never gets hot but varies from around 50-85, sounds like a thermo stuck open to me.

3. Front suspension makes some squeaks at low speed. Not really sure what this is at all. I am leaning towards tie rods. The steering wheel has some issues coming back to center at low speeds. Not sure if this is normal or not.

4. I am going to have to put newtires on it. Feels like it could be a wheel bearing but I think it is just the tires.

Anyway, this is a lot and I appreciate all the help. I am new to the Mercedes brand but I have always liked German cars. Overall, very pleased with the car. I enjoy the power and the economy of the diesel and I just couldn't bring myself to drive a Jetta.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by jbt1996
Hello all, new to this forum. I recently purchased a used 2005 E320 CDI and I have some questions. First, I will tell you a bit about the car. It has about 78000 miles on it, I have put about 1k on it since I got it. It is perfect for what I wanted. Drive about 150 miles a day for a commute...it was my somewhat economical replacement commuter vehicle. So far averaging about 38.7mpg. I am about to take it to an independent shop for an oil change and some other work. I am thinking around $1500 in work on it. Here is what I think it needs, any insight would be helpful:

1. It is calling for Service E+ in 600 miles. I am not entirely sure what this will entail but I have gotten the E = about 5 hours labor. Please elaborate if you have more info.

You can pull up the items needed in FSS

2. I think it needs a thermostat. Operating temperature fluctuates quite a bit, never gets hot but varies from around 50-85, sounds like a thermo stuck open to me.

Thermostat failure is fairly common. Replace and see you fuel economy improve. when I replaced mine it went up several mpg. Straight interstate driving my mileage runs 40+

3. Front suspension makes some squeaks at low speed. Not really sure what this is at all. I am leaning towards tie rods. The steering wheel has some issues coming back to center at low speeds. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Sounds like lower ball joints which is a known issue on W211s

4. I am going to have to put new tires on it. Feels like it could be a wheel bearing but I think it is just the tires.

Worn tires will sound like a bad bearing.

Anyway, this is a lot and I appreciate all the help. I am new to the Mercedes brand but I have always liked German cars. Overall, very pleased with the car. I enjoy the power and the economy of the diesel and I just couldn't bring myself to drive a Jetta.
One other thing you may want to have checked out is the motor mounts and transmission mount. At 90K the ones on my 06 E320 CDI were gone. felt vibrations, etc. Replaced them and like a new car. Parts were about $230 and I paid an independent $240 to install. worth every penny.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM

GL320
Great mileage! Regarding tire / bearing noise, I have the same issue. Had the howling happen to our GL320 as well. My 05 CDI has 54000 miles, one axle has the original Michelins from the original owner. I swapped the fronts with the rears to confirm and it is tires. They begin to get noisy at about 40 mph. The tread is good and the sidewalls have no signs of cracking - will keep till fall.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Thanks all. I am taking it in for service next week to an Indy...planning on the typical oil and filter, etc... I will have them replace the thermostat. Will check the ball joints as well. The tires are fairly worn already and I was planning on replacing them in the near future. Any thoughts on tires, more interested in economy due to a long daily commute. Good idea on checking trans and engine mounts.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by jbt1996
Thanks all. I am taking it in for service next week to an Indy...planning on the typical oil and filter, etc... I will have them replace the thermostat. Will check the ball joints as well. The tires are fairly worn already and I was planning on replacing them in the near future. Any thoughts on tires, more interested in economy due to a long daily commute. Good idea on checking trans and engine mounts.
I just put a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity on mine and could not be more pleased. They handle good, are quiet and smooth and have a 70K mile tread-wear warranty. These replaced the Michelin Energy OEM tires and I see the same mileage and handling as before.

Last edited by edwinwalke; 06-19-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Update

Ok everyone...Went to a shop and got a pretty big estimate, just wanted to make sure it is fair.

Replace motor and transmission mounts
Oil Change etc...
Replacing lower ball joints
transmission fluid and filter change
brake fluid change
drive belt replacement

What is a good price for all of these services?