In sport shifting mode....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
In sport shifting mode....

Why doesn't the transmission shift immediately upon switching gears upon hard acceleration? Is it a computer thing?

Last edited by Gregg2gs; 05-27-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
It depends on your definition of rapid acceleration.

The driver adaptive learns your driving pattern and adjust the baseline transmission responses. However, there is no point that the DA will drop the transmission to a lower gear.

If the rpms drop too low, such as on a steep incline, the transmssion will slip to a lower gear.

Even if you do rapid acceleration it will only go progressively through the transmission, unless, you do the kick down (flooring it), then it will drop to the next lowest gear to wind the engine up.

If you typically drive slower and then pick up the pace, (I think) a kick down will snap the transmission out of your old pattern on hold the lower gears longer before shifting.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:08 AM

2010 E550
Instead of kicking it down to downshift into the optimum (passing) gear I like the feature where you just hold the shifter over to the left for a second and it automatically goes to the gear with the optimum torque regardless of how many gears down it is. I think if you use the kidk down feature it will only drop 2 gears, one mechanically and one electronically.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Appreciate all of your answers. I was mainly referring to the process of being in manual 2nd gear and then flooring the pedal, rpm's going through 5000rpm shifting to 3rd and the transmission not responding until it hits 6000+ rpm. Total delay in shifting. If you are in manual mode, it should go when you tell it to, true??

Also, how do I get the pic of my car to be placed below my name on postings?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:04 PM

'03 E320 CDI Avantgarde '00 Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6 16v (wife).
In that case, (accelerator to the floor) transmision is in kick down mode, and won´t shift until red line is approached. Even if you are in manual mode, kick down overrides all the other inputs to the transmission.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I believe he is asking why the transmission does not upshift immediately after nudging the shifter to the right in manual mode.

This is just how MB has programmed the transmission. It is a little better in AMG cars. The more throttle you apply, the more quickly the transmission will respond to an upshift input. At full throttle, I think they should respond immediately, but MB decided to give the auto a mind of it's own.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:59 PM

W211
All cars with "automanual" shifting have a delay in them-- it's just the nature of manually shifting an automatic.

On hard acceleration (foot ALL the way down), the transmission will not shift until redline, even if you nudge the shifter for an upshift.

Basically the transmission will not upshift even if you nudge the shifter to the right if it determines that more acceleration is needed.

It's hard to explain but I guess that's it in a nutshell.