Check your seats for a potential HOLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI & 2011 E350 BlueTEC
Check your seats for a potential HOLE

Hello, Everyone:

The other day I noticed a tiny place in my '05 E320 where something in the front seat frame was poking the upholstery from the inside.

I thought it might be the end of a seat-spring wire. Whatever it was, there was little doubt that if this wasn't corrected soon, it would indeed poke a hole in the upholstery.

Here's what I discovered and what I did to fix it:

Yes, it was the end of a seat spring. I decided to pull the seat so I could get better access to the general area. This was simple to do. Remove the four Torx-head fasteners and make sure all the wire-harness plugs are un-plugged. Snap off the cover that hides the seat belt anchor bolt. Remove this bolt so the seatbelt is free from the seat. Remove the seat. Be careful not to bang into the console, dash, door panel, etc.

I spread a blanket on my workbench to protect the seat. I'm not going to give step-by-step instructions; it's really easy to figure out what needs to come off so you can gain room to work in the problem area. I simply removed the two Torx bolts and retainers that secure a round rod. This rod is under the area of the front-of-seat storage bin. I also pulled off the end cover that rounds off the car door end of the storage bin. Finally, I carefully removed the upholstery material from three or four retainer clips and gently pulled back the upholstery. The offending flat spring has a tight loop on the end. The loop end should be snapped into a small retainer recess in the plastic seat framework. The loop end of mine had popped out. I snapped it back in, but it didn't seem like it would take much to make it pop out again. I decided to drill a tiny hole in the thick part of the plastic seat frame and secure the loop end into the retainer recess with a zip tie. Re-install everything you removed or loosened.

Before re-installing the seat, I cleaned the tracks and other places on the seat that are hard to get to because of the console. I also vacuumed the under-seat part of the carpet. Bolt the seat in, plug up the electrical connections and don't forget the seatbelt anchor bolt.

The poke place I initially noticed was on the passenger seat. I caught it in the nick of time. It was only a few more passenger entry and exits before the wire would have poked through. I inspected the driver seat, and it had the same problem, though not nearly as severe. The loop end of the wire had popped out on this side, too. I repaired it doing the same as I did on the passenger seat. Not counting the seat removal and install time and subsequent cleaning, the repair took about 15 minutes a side.

My car is a 2005 E320 CDI. I don't know how universal this problem might be. I just know I wasn't far from having a hole in my seat. I'd advise owners of similar-year cars have a look at their seats and see if they have this problem, too.

I intend to post a picture of the seat with an arrow pointing at the poke place. I hope this will help owners find the problem before the wire end pokes a hole in their seats.

Best wishes to all from Eddie!
Attached Thumbnails Check your seats for a potential HOLE-mb-seat-hole-1.jpg   Check your seats for a potential HOLE-mb-seat-hole-2.jpg