Cruise Control Died

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Unhappy Cruise Control Died

So I went on one of my first longer trips today when I could have really used cruise control but on the way back I saw this yellow triangle light on on my bash and then I noticed that cruise control would not engage. If I try to engage it, I just see "---"

What gives? Anyone know why the yellow triangle on the dash might come on and cause cruise control to not engage? I did not see any other warnings on the dash. I just got back restarted the car and the yellow triangle light is gone and cruise control now engages as normal.

Every single car I've owned has had cruise control and this is the first time that cruise control had died in a car I've owned

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 08-01-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W211 E550
Might be Speedtronics Sensor. Mine has EPS and when the sensor goes out, Cruise also gets malfunctioned.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
If the yellow triangle was lit up, someone probably accidentally turned off ESP. When ESP is off, cruise control cannot activate, hence the "---" you saw.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
If the yellow triangle was lit up, someone probably accidentally turned off ESP. When ESP is off, cruise control cannot activate, hence the "---" you saw.
That's it! I had a passenger in the car and I think she might have accidentally pressed the ESP button when she was going to adjust the seat ventilation controls.

Okay so that's why out of the blue she asked me what ESP meant... I think she accidentally pressed it and then began to wonder what she had pressed.

Come to think of it that's around when my cruise control died!

It's good to know now that the triangle is basically a warning the ESP is off.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
So you drove around town with ESP off and didn't even notice??
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by PlatinumPi4u
So you drove around town with ESP off and didn't even notice??
I don't think it is something you'd necessarily notice in normal driving but yes, it looked like that's what happened and good thing I didn't have to make any sudden maneuvers on the highway! I had no idea the yellow triangle meant that traction/stability control was off! All my previous cars spelled out the initials of the system when it was off or had an icon that looked like a car going out of control. It wasn't obvious to me that the yellow triangle meant that traction control was off.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I don't think it is something you'd necessarily notice in normal driving but yes, it looked like that's what happened and good thing I didn't have to make any sudden maneuvers on the highway! I had no idea the yellow triangle meant that traction/stability control was off! All my previous cars spelled out the initials of the system when it was off or had an icon that looked like a car going out of control. It wasn't obvious to me that the yellow triangle meant that traction control was off.
It's a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside it. I guess it's trying to be an international warning icon of some sort. But next time punch the gas pedal and try to get the rear end loose. It'll start flashing

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by 220S
It's a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside it. I guess it's trying to be an international warning icon of some sort. But next time punch the gas pedal and try to get the rear end loose. It'll start flashing
Honestly that yellow triangle icon in no way communicated to me that it meant ESP is off. Now I know for the future.

Not sure Mr. 4Matic would approve of the rear end getting loose on an acceleration binge by Ms. RWD alone... as he sends about 40% of all he has to Ms. FWD to keep things in balance
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
Lol... some use traction control to remember, some use it to forget....
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR

Not sure Mr. 4Matic would approve of the rear end getting loose on an acceleration binge by Ms. RWD alone... as he sends about 40% of all he has to Ms. FWD to keep things in balance
hehe, I forgot you have a non-drifting 4x4.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Interesting thread.

OK. Just had the same problem. Search lead me here.

Reading through this I saw another guy that had a similar condition to me. I had to jump start my 06 E55 to get it going. Just don't drive it as much as I should. After I got it going I put it on the battery charger overnight.

Yesterday I got the flashing cruise control arch.

After reading this thread I had an idea. I was thinking that some module did not properly reset after the undervolt condition, so I removed the negative battery terminal for an hour and reconnected it.

Just did a couple of drive cycles and all is as it should be. No flashing cruise control arch. So, someone else give the battery reset a try and see if it clears up the problem. Lets hope it is really that simple.