Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM
dfz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500
An attempt to marry sat radio with euro comand + navi

Hello all,

I've read through a lot of the threads on this and found some conflicting answers.. I'm referring to an NTG1 on a W219(/W211)

Since we can't listen to sat radio in a euro comand unless it's in US spec mode, I wondered what would be the downside to constantly switching the US/ECE mode back and forth when wanting to use either sat radio or video in motion?

Then it occurred to me that this could mess up the navigation.. I haven't found a specific answer yet for this in the forums: if using a Euro comand in ECE mode with a hybrid nav dvd, does the nav dvd stop working when switching the unit to US mode?
Or does this only make a difference if the nav dvd is in the head unit vs in the trunk?

Also, what happens to external video inputs such as a rear view camera when the euro COMAND is in US mode, do all the video inputs stop working in that case or do you only lose the ability to play a dvd video from the head unit but still can use the externally triggered input (the difference being that you don't have to press the 'video' button on the unit to see the rear view cam since it's triggered by the shifter)..?

Someone told me that for some euro COMAND models the hybrid dvd is not required and that a non-hybrid US dvd in the trunk will work fine with a euro COMAND up front. Is this actually true?? I can't seem to find any hard evidence either way.

In the same light, I see some people saying they have to put the nav dvd in the COMAND dvd drive while others imply they can put it in the dvd reader in the trunk.
Is that correct, or does that change depending on model years of COMAND?

Any information on switching and dvd nav configuration would be very much appreciated.

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds (US maps, US bluetooth, sat radio, plus video in motion), and I came across this company online called mid city engineering who will actually install a video-input board directly into a US comand unit so you almost get everything in an NTG1 system: you keep your us nav and bluetooth, it's fireware upgrade friendly, sat radio works in combination with video input and phone sync, but the only thing missing is a dvd reader in the head unit, and they charge quite a lot to install the video board since essentially they're doing a hardware mod to the NTG1 unit.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We too have an upgrade kit to give you multiple video inputs (including backup camera). However, it is provided as a plug in you that you can do yourself (if desired).
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
dfz

2006 CLS500
What does the kit contain? Does it connect to a green FARKA connector or is it a hardware mod?

I might be able to get an older COMAND unit with the green connector on the back..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is a plug in module the interfaces directly with the LCD cable. It does not use the Fakra connector.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Cartronics
It is a plug in module the interfaces directly with the LCD cable. It does not use the Fakra connector.
Is this a scenario where you plug your module into the display (or head unit?) and then plug the original cable into you plug/module? If so, this sounds kinda interesting.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

That is correct
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM
dfz

2006 CLS500
I was looking at the cartronics website and noticed the after market satellite radio unit for mercedes.. Could you give me more info about this unit?

I tried one aftermarket mb shop already who told me my model year couldn't accept an aftermarket MOST sat radio unit and that I would have to buy the OEM part from MB.. but they told me this just by the VIN number (-016977 CLS500 2006) and not by actually looking at my car.

I'd like to get some more info on this sat unit.. the dealer said I'd have to install an extra antenna and drill a hole on my trunk and place it right in the middle of the trunk lid (instead of the front or back). I'd prefer your solution if possible.

Also, how does it display and integrate with the comand unit? I'm asking since I have a euro comand unit without the SAT button, how would I access the sat radio function?

Is there any version coding required to get it to work? the OEM sat won't work until the system is coded..
Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

If you are referring to the 2006 CLS, it IS a M.O.S.T. car for sure and either a factory part or our parts will work. The dealer kit does come with a drill through antenna, but there are many antenna options to hide it, or use a very small magnetic. We even show a small magnetic install on an E Class/S Class on our site. Some installers put them under bumper covers, under dash pads or under rear deck pad.

Our system works just like a factory system. No difference.

Version coding is RARELY needed (about 2%).