E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500 Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport
03 E500 Transmission issues?

I am noticing a harsh vibrating that is shaking the whole car when accelerating slowly or going uphill. This is happening every time I drive and it's getting rather annoying.

I brought this same thing up over on BenzWorld but that site blows, so I'm bringing it up here since this one seems a little more tech oriented.

I appreciate the advice. I'm hoping it's just the mounts going bad, I can get them for cheap.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Kindly use the 'search' option as this has been discussed many times in detail and you could find your answer faster than waiting for someone to respond. You will also be able to see more responses and make an educated guess on what your next move is to fix your problem, since there are different solutions to different causes.

Below i've listed the problems i know of and hope you will research then in previous threads:
1. Glycol contamination of trans fluid (relates to #2)
2. dirty oil causing torque converter lock up solenoid to malfunction - no glycol contamination
3. Transmission control unit (TCU) fried as oil travels up the wiring harness
4. transmission mounts (least likely)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 PM

2003 E500 Sport
I did use the search and all the issues I found weren't exactly what I have going on, thanks for the help...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 PM

2014 E550; 2003 E500
Drivetrain vibration upon acceleration uphill is the exact symptom of of the issues i posted above. Sound like hitting the highway warning strip near the yellow line on the road? How many miles do you have on your E500? If you havent changed your tranny fluid i would get a transmission flush - all the fluid NOT just a pan drop. OR Take a sample of the old oil and send to blackstone labs for testing glycol.

You need to post more about your car and a more accurate description of your issue if i am incorrect or incomplete. It could be the engine mounts, but they are pretty easy to diagnose by seeing if there are leaks in the mounts or excessive engine movement when revving the engine a bit. Tranny mount you'll have to go underneath and check the mount - i think it's right before the tranny pan.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:54 AM

2003 E500 Sport
Upon further research, it might be the glycol. :/ I don't want it to be though...

I have just over 100k on it now, I am planning on brining it in on Monday to get it checked out. I am relatively good with mechanic work, I just need to get it figured out for sure. What is the "new" radiator that it needs to be replaced by? I see the Valeo (sp?) one is no good.

Yeah, it does feel like the road grating on the side of highways... It freaks me out when it happens, though is it normal that it doesn't happen when I use the manual mode and shift myself? Also, it doesn't do it under rough acceleration or is this just the beginning stages of it?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM

2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by markpetersonii
Upon further research, it might be the glycol. :/ I don't want it to be though...

I have just over 100k on it now, I am planning on brining it in on Monday to get it checked out. I am relatively good with mechanic work, I just need to get it figured out for sure. What is the "new" radiator that it needs to be replaced by? I see the Valeo (sp?) one is no good.

Yeah, it does feel like the road grating on the side of highways... It freaks me out when it happens, though is it normal that it doesn't happen when I use the manual mode and shift myself? Also, it doesn't do it under rough acceleration or is this just the beginning stages of it?
Doubt it's glycol with that much mileage. And it's an '03 so i think it would have been changed already. Most owners had symptoms starting at like 30k miles. However, you could have the dealer verify it with 1+ hour labor or send an oil sample to blackstone labs for like $30 and get results back in about a week. Look up their website. They are really great.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:56 PM

2014 E550; 2003 E500
Oh If the dealer doesnt find glycol, the tech may read the fault code of the transmission speed sensors not reading the correct values and may tell you it's the valve body. I replaced my valve body - waste of $.

They might tell you that you need a torque converter - which is the source of the problem because the lock up solenoid is reading false values due to the dirty oil. logically replacing the torque converter means replacing the oil which will solve your problem. But if you are just starting to get the symptoms, then your torque converter may be fine. If it's been happening for a while, it wont function as new when you flush out the oil but still may be good enough for operation.

Good luck not finding glycol.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Ok so if it's not Glycol and it's a waste of money to replace the Torque Converter and the Valve Body... What on earth do you suggest?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM

2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by markpetersonii
Ok so if it's not Glycol and it's a waste of money to replace the Torque Converter and the Valve Body... What on earth do you suggest?
I suggest you first verify that you dont have glycol in your tranny oil.

If the test comes back showing no glycol, do a complete tranny oil flush 7+ liters and filter. You could also drop the pan, filter, and refill 4 liters. Do this 3 or 4 times if you cant find someone that will do a flush. 3rd time was the charm for me. You'll need a dipstick or you can be extra careful and put in the same amount that you take out. Of course the flush is cheaper to do once (and you can DIY) but some places wont touch our tranny at all - only dealership.

If test shows enough glycol present, then you'll need to replace radiator, tranny coolant lines, and flush the oil. You probably will need a torque converter too. If there is enough damage, you'll need a new tranny. Of course, have a tech determine the condition of your tranny if positive for glycol.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:15 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Got it. I just had the kit sent to me a couple days back. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E55, Lexus RX 450h
I have a similar problem in my E550. The trans, including torque convertor has just been rebuilt, all new mounts fitted and the vibration is still present on light acceleration at freeway speeds. The dealer is flummoxed - I'm now thinking that the TCU is faulty and not operating the torque convertor lock-up clutch correctly - or a faulty solenoid.
Is there any way to test these items?
Jeff b
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yep DAS Xentry or equal diagnostic software!!----what about your drive train--- any body put the car on a lift examined(test equipment) for vibration while running!!