Is my trunk dying? :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Unhappy Is my trunk dying? :(

I have the electronic trunk closer in my car and though it is a wonderful feature, lately it has been having hiccups. I would press the button and then it would close halfway and then open back up again. Sometimes if I do this 2-3 times it would then close. Other times it refuses to close all the way.

I have to say it is a bit embarrassing when people are around and you look like an idiot after pressing the trunk close button 3 times only to have the trunk opening back up after closing half way and then out of frustration you have to manually close the trunk. As by then it is obvious that I could have saved a minute if I just closed the trunk with my hand walked away

Thankfully I have the CPO warranty so this should be covered -- or at least I hope so! So why is this happening? I checked and there are no obstructions. Is this an indication that the mechanism is going bad somehow? How can I get the dealer to fix this when it does not happen consistently all the time?

Has this happened to you?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
*bump* Any idea what is happening to my trunk?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Dealer can check for DTC with SDS “may” be the control unit. Since it is intermittent you may want to check the harness https://mbworld.org/forums/4047470-post13.html
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Dealer can check for DTC with SDS “may” be the control unit. Since it is intermittent you may want to check the harness https://mbworld.org/forums/4047470-post13.html
Thank you SO much! Unless it gets worse I'll have them check this the next time the car is in for service. I did search the forums about this issue but the only posts i found were other people expressing the same problem with no solution... Apparently there is something in the mechanism that goes bad and causes intermittent malfunctions.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 08-17-2011 at 11:58 PM.