E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

oil level check not working? how long am i supposed to wait?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e500
oil level check not working? how long am i supposed to wait?

i changed my own oil the other day, put in 8 quarts of 5w-40 in my 03 e500, and afterwards used the steering wheel controls to try to check the oil level.

it said it was checking now, and to observe wait time, but nothing ever happened. when i went to a different setting and came back, it said it was still checking oil level... but i never got a result.

i have used the feature once before, several weeks ago, and after a minute it said oil level was 'ok', so i know it worked in the past.

what should i do/try?

also is it possible to buy a traditional dipstick anywhere (dealer or otherwise)? i'm guessing the dipstick tube behind the engine is where it would go if it had one...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM

2005 E320 cdi
Assuming you ran the engine after the oil change long enough to fill everything and check for leaks but not long enough to bring the engine up to operating temperature then you will need to wait at least 30 minutes before it will give you a reading. If at operating temperature it should give you a reading in about 5 minutes after shutdown.
This should be detailed in your owners manual.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM

03 e500
great thank you. it just worked right now. didn't realize that i had to be at full operating temperature to check oil level (it doesn't have to be hot to check on any other car)

checked now with engine warm and was patient, and it came up as OK two minutes later.

thanks for the advice.

i'm still wondering if it is possible to get a dipstick for our cars. any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM

2005 E320 cdi
Originally Posted by e500rmz
great thank you. it just worked right now. didn't realize that i had to be at full operating temperature to check oil level (it doesn't have to be hot to check on any other car)

checked now with engine warm and was patient, and it came up as OK two minutes later.

thanks for the advice.

i'm still wondering if it is possible to get a dipstick for our cars. any thoughts?
Not what I said. If the engine has been run but not warmed up you need to wait 30 minutes to get a reading.
For a cold reading check it in the morning before starting it for the first time that day. It will come up in a few seconds.
If the engine has been run and fully warmed up then shut off you will get a reading in about five minutes.
Can't tell you anything about a possible dipstick.