E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How many of you feel safe driving an SBC-equipped MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Ronaldk
Already on 2003 the SBC system also dried the pads/discs by moving the pads closer to the disc when the wipers were swtiched on (called dry brake). The SBC also features prefilling (similar to pre-safe system) when it anticipates an emergency brake is pending (sudden removal from gas pedal to brake pedal). It has the added benefit of having full brake power with the engine off. It removes the unwanted ABS shutter to the driver. It has added benefits such as Traffic jam assist apart from the superior breaking during cornering compared to conventional systems. Read this article and you will be amazed how advanced the technology actually is (was)!

http://500sec.com/sensotronic-brake-system-sbc/

My SBC system has saved the day on many occasions and not once did it ever fail. Knowing it was also used in the Maybach, does inspire confidence to me.
Hmm didn't know that, but they have those features on conventional ABS systems now. Ya it's nice how there is no ABS pulsating/shutter as you say

Traffic jam assist? What's that?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Traffic jam assist? What's that?
Traffic Jam Assist

"Now get up to cruising speed and take your hands off the wheel," says the engineer to our right. Despite seeing the system in action earlier, we're skeptical, but we do as our German minder commands while the R-Class in front curves gently to the left. Our specially equipped S-Class follows Benz's glorified minivan as it slowly curves left, then right, then left again before centering itself in the lane. The S never misses a beat, staying within 20 feet of the R's bumper the entire time. The self-driving car is almost a reality and it's about to make start-and-stop traffic slightly less mind-numbing.

Mercedes has also evolved its Distronic Plus active cruise control to the next level. Using the same radar-based sensors that detect a vehicle in front to match its speed, and combining them with a stereo camera mounted above the rearview mirror, the Traffic Jam Assist system can analyze a vehicle in front (up to a distance of 50 meters and 25 mph) and steers the car without driver intervention. Well, almost. If the driver takes his hands off the wheel for more than eight seconds, an alert chimes in to inform them that the system will shut down without some kind of control, and after another three seconds of hands-free driving, Traffic Jam Assist turns off.

After playing with the system for the better part of 10 minutes, we found that a palm on the wheel was enough for the sensor (a 50,000-euro prototype mounted behind the wheel) to recognize our hand on the wheel, but a fingertip – an unfortunate but preferred means of steering for millions of commuters – didn't do the job. And what if the vehicle in front decides to do an impromptu lane change? The cameras also track the lines of the road, ensuring that you'll never leave your lane. As soon as Mercedes gets the cost in check, Traffic Jam Assist should be coming to a range-topping Merc in a few year's time.

http://autos.aol.com/article/five-te...mercedes-benz/
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
According to this link, the Maybach in discussion uses 2 SBC systems:

http://www.cardotcom.com/maybach/201...et/review.aspx

More interestingly is that the article states that post-face lifted 2006's used conventional brakes. Does that mean there are E500's out there without the SBC system? I love the car, but to answer the OP's question, after hearing of personal experiences from this forum of SBC failure, I am very concerned about SBC.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So do our cars have that STOP function? Never really noticed how exactly on the cruise control do you engage it? I remember reading we don't get the HOLD function or something and idk about that SOFT STOP either.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
My CLS has SBC, and according to MB (and articles mentioned here) it was an advanced system that just got a bad rep. I don't have any complaints about the system, MB said the SBC system was improved greatly on the 2005 and up models, but IDK.

Hopefully I won't have any problems with it...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
I too have not had any problems, and hope it stays that way.....

I did hear the loudest noise from it this morning when I opened the drivers door before starting. I know it makes noises intermittantly normally when opening the door, but today it seemed louder, almost like a small compressor fired up for 5 seconds
Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
When you DON'T hear that sound is when you should worry.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The thing I allways liked about the SBC system was that it was proactive in terms of the stability control. Knowledge that it was factoring in the steering angle into the individual braking force gave me a lot of confidence in the cars stability during turns. Unlike other systems which are reactive to yaw angle.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
SBC Stop

@ gaazmon, The SBC stop function was available from late 2003 - 2005 and was country specific. The European (and thus South African) versions all featured the functionality. It is engaged with speeds lower than 20 km/h and activated by pulling the cruise control lever to the driver. Disengaged by pushing the lever away from the driver or automatically when the cruise speed exceeds 60 km/h. There must have been some law or ruling in the USA that lead to the deactivation of this functionality in the USA. Why is it that the USA has such limiting laws/rules? I remember the hideous bumpers of the S class (w116) in the seventies that was so specific to the USA because of some rule. As-if the European version was so "unsafe"....
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ronaldk
@ gaazmon, The SBC stop function was available from late 2003 - 2005 and was country specific. The European (and thus South African) versions all featured the functionality. It is engaged with speeds lower than 20 km/h and activated by pulling the cruise control lever to the driver. Disengaged by pushing the lever away from the driver or automatically when the cruise speed exceeds 60 km/h. There must have been some law or ruling in the USA that lead to the deactivation of this functionality in the USA. Why is it that the USA has such limiting laws/rules? I remember the hideous bumpers of the S class (w116) in the seventies that was so specific to the USA because of some rule. As-if the European version was so "unsafe"....
man that sounds like a really cool feature actually. that would be great cuz i've never really gotten used to the SBC brakes in traffic here vs conventional brakes on our cl500. i would use that all the time.

and the brake hold thing, that would be awesome ugh

yes lol the US dept of transportation can be very screwy and i hate the whole idea of amber side markers being required ugh (sorry for going o/t)