E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: 18" will sacrifice ride quality
Yes, 17"s will be more comfortable.
35.00%
You're crazy, 18's look better and ride just as well cause Mercedes picked them.
65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

2009 - Downsizing to smaller wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6-speed
2009 - Downsizing to smaller wheels

Hey guys,

I am new to the benz world and have been lurking around a bit to learn more about the Eclasses.

I am looking to purchase the E for ride quality, but I've narrowed down my search to 09's in order to get the newer infotainment and navigation system.

95% of them show up with the 18" sport 5 spoke rims - and I'm wondering if smaller wheels will fit (looking for ride comfort, not handling).

Honestly, I like the stock 16's and 17's that are on the E class of that generation. I know 16's probably won't fit because I've read that the bluetecs come with 16 and they had to have smaller brakes because of that, but will 17's just work without affecting the speedometer or brake clearance? I know enough to be dangerous but I'm not aware of anything with offsets and widths and such.

I'm looking at wheels here http://www.finishlinewheels.com/MERC...TYPE+211/2009/ but I see that they have all different widths and diameters.

Anyone have any advice they could offer?

Thanks much in advance,

- frank
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Our E3504MATIC Sport with the OE 18" size and Conti DWS tires rides very well. But, one cannot deny the physics. A 17", all other things being equal, will ride better, accelerate more quickly, and brake in a shorter distance, all due to the lower rotating mass and the impact absorption of a taller tire sidewall. To what degree, and is it even noticeable, no less significant, is a personal decision. But the reality of some degree of directional change is just science.

If you are ambivalent about changing the wheels, you might try the 18" DWS tires. They are much more pleasing than the original ContiProContacts, or other similarly hard compound tires. Read about them on tirerack.com under Ultra High Performance All Season.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:08 PM

'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
With the conditions of our roads and 1 slightly bent rim and a mysterious flat not long ago I have considered the same. 18" twin spokes are awful to clean and I would be more at ease with a taller sidewall. Wife says no and it's her car now but when it's mine I might reconsider. Ours is sport pkg and staggered and might really look awkward. Don't want it to look like I'm riding on donuts set 6" in. The width from back view could be an issue as well. Any thoughts? 17" 5 spoke would be my choice.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM

2017 GLC43 'AMG'
It's up to you, but I've decided to stick with the original 255 40 18 size even for the studded winter tires.

In my case, the reasons are a bit complicated.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by fbottone
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase the E for ride quality, but I've narrowed down my search to 09's in order to get the newer infotainment and navigation system.

95% of them show up with the 18" sport 5 spoke rims - and I'm wondering if smaller wheels will fit (looking for ride comfort, not handling).

Honestly, I like the stock 16's and 17's that are on the E class of that generation. I know 16's probably won't fit because I've read that the bluetecs come with 16 and they had to have smaller brakes because of that, but will 17's just work without affecting the speedometer or brake clearance? I know enough to be dangerous but I'm not aware of anything with offsets and widths and such.

I'm looking at wheels here http://www.finishlinewheels.com/MERC...TYPE+211/2009/ but I see that they have all different widths and diameters.

- frank
My wife has a 2008 with standard 17" wheels and the ride is very nice. If the car you're looking at has 18's, there's a very high likelihood that 17's will fit as one size down is generally recommended for snow tire mounting. I suggest you get the VIN and call a dealer with the VIN and ask which wheels fit.

I looked at the web site for which you posted a link and those prices are about half the discount dealer price for new wheel, so I think those are used wheels that have been refinished. As a point of reference, i recently bought a brand new 17" wheel for my wife's wagon (what is listed on your link as Wheel# A-85008U20 for $179) and paid $359 at Duval Motorcars, which was the best price I could find for a new wheel. Frankly, if I were you, I'd test drive a car with the 18" wheels and if you're satisfied with the ride, stick with those wheels because I think they do look better (we had no choice of wheels when ordering our car as it's a wagon).

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 PM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
The right tire plays a factor too. My car seems to ride better on my 19" set up (conti DWS) than my 17" winter set up (Dunlop wintersport 3D) and definitely better than stock (18" michelins), but that's just my opinion. Of course the lower profile set up is more vulnerable to potholes and other road hazards.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
18's is the bare minimum for me....the ride difference is negligible anyways.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Here is another very good source for wheels. I've purchased two sets from them so far, and the quality has been great.

http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23

The bottom line for someone seeking ride quality over handling is that, all other things being equal, the lighter mass and smaller diameter wheel will always win over the opposite. I agree tires make a difference, and you can easily find the best riding tire in the tire rack surveys and tests.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
I love my 19's, details in my signature and few recent photos in my album. I don't think I'd ever downsize though I've retained my 16's. Ride quality is fair, obviously not as good as the OEM 16's, however changing only front tires to Michelin (from Falkens) made a difference in ride comfort and noise levels. The rears have so much tread left on them that I will wait before changing.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by fbottone
Hey guys,

I am new to the benz world and have been lurking around a bit to learn more about the Eclasses.

Anyone have any advice they could offer?

Thanks much in advance,

- frank
Our 08E350 sport is fine with 18 inches 245/40 (front) & 265/35 (back) in California roadway. I rode in my cousin's 07E350 (non sport, 245/45/17 all around), I do not feel any different in the ride at all. The sport steering is a lot sharper than the non sport in turn.