E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes Replacing my Problem E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Replacing my Problem E500

Hi everyone -

I have to start this out by saying that this post isn't *****ing about Mercedes (even though my car has been in the shop for about half the time I owned it) - it's to praise their handling of the problem.

I got my 2003 E500 (as a pre-owned demo) in early April. It was an early build (titled in Aug '02). Panorama roof, Multi-contour seats, HK, CD, rear window shade, heated seats.

The night I took delivery, I went to open the roof. The sunroof motor groaned loudly. I figured "no problem" - the dealer still needed to install my CD player, so they can fix this as well.

Brought the car in a few days later - by this time, I had noticed a tapping noise from the engine, and the driver's seat moved a bit when stopping hard.

Got the car back with the CD installed, the engine noise addressed, but the other problems weren't fixed (they needed a part for the sunroof).

Took it home, brought it in a week later - they had the car for a week and still was not able to fix the roof.

Well you get the idea. In 2 months, the car has been at the dealer:
- 5 times to repair the sunroof (they finally got it last time)
- 2 times to repair squeaky brakes (last time they just replaced all the brakes and rotors)
- 1 time for engine noise
- 2 times for the CD cutting out intermittently
- 1 time for the rear-view mirror to be replaced (not auto-dimming)

They tinted the windows for me as a peace offering since the car was in there so much.

But now, after everything was fixed, I'm coming back from a weekend away when all of a sudden my air conditioning cuts off, and I get an error on the dash saying "Malfunction - electrical consumers turned off". The air came back on by itself about 5 minutes later.

I called the dealer and told them that enough was enough. I'm done. I want my money back or another car.

They spoke to the Mercedes regional rep, who authorized a replacement.

The upshot of all this: they've ordered me a brand new car from the factory, with more options than my current car (sport pkg, drive dynamic, avs, E2, keyless go). It'll just be a straight swap-out with my car when it comes in, and they will pay the license fees for the new one.

I have to say that I was shocked at how nicely Mercedes handled this, and can't say enough good things about the dealership (Simonson Mercedes in Santa Monica CA). Their Service Director there was very accommodating. I never felt like it was me vs. them. And, I wind up with a brand new car for much less $$ than I would have paid if I had ordered one like this originally.

At least on this one, Mercedes did OK.

Ira
Old 06-07-2003, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Glad to hear about the amicable settlement. Let's hope the replacement lives up to expectations.

Perhaps you bought a demo that prospective buyers burned the hell out of at E-Motion events, used by MB to introduce the new E-Class around the USA?

How many miles were on this E lemon demo?
Old 06-07-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Motion

Actually, I forgot to mention that - yes, the dealer told me it was a "Drive and Ride" car. I knew it was a risk when I got it, but I was leasing it -- and it seemed fine on the test drive.

Let that be a lesson - stay away from those Mercedes event cars (they're not your everyday demo :-).

To answer your question, only 1300 miles on the car when I got it.

ira
Old 06-07-2003, 07:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 179 Posts
Doubt the demo had much to do with anything that was not power train related ( hard driving not proper break in). I'm very very happy to see MB stepped up to the plate for you. MB has been having quite a bit of problems as the JD power surveys get worse and worse with each passing year But as long as they stand behind their product and offer replacement cars for troubled ones then I say the right thing was done