E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

air suspension random lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e-500
air suspension random lowering

On My 2003 E-500 I have been experiencing the entire back of car being very low (sometimes red warning light comes on) at random times over the past 60 days. Sometimes it’s just the passenger side rear; other times just the driver’s side rear. When I start the car sometimes it rises up, other times I have to push the rise car button on the console and that takes care of it. Lately it may take up to 3 minutes before the back rises to a safe level. Over the past six month I have replaced the front drivers side and rear passenger side strut. I have had it at my local Mercedes mechanic several times and he thinks the rear bags/springs on both sides need to be replaced ($2,600.00). There have been no diagnostic codes indicated regarding this problem in car computer. My mechanic is relatively sure what the problem is, but not 100% sure. I just do not want to spend $2600.00 and still have the same issue. Has anybody else experienced these type of random issues?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I would concur that if the rear struts have never been replaced they are most likely the problem and need to be replaced. See if they are leaking fluid down the side. Stick your hand in there and feel. When they stop being able to support the weight, the car will drop down on the air spring and continue to drop. You have struts AND air springs in the back and my guess is that only the struts are shot. Replace them now before your pump burns out.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM

e-500
Originally Posted by KEY08
I would concur that if the rear struts have never been replaced they are most likely the problem and need to be replaced. See if they are leaking fluid down the side. Stick your hand in there and feel. When they stop being able to support the weight, the car will drop down on the air spring and continue to drop. You have struts AND air springs in the back and my guess is that only the struts are shot. Replace them now before your pump burns out.
The passenger side rear strut was replaced six months ago and the mechanic cannot see any sign of leaks from struts
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
My guess would still be that the other strut is leaking. You don't see too many air spring failures, but it is always possible.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM

e-500
Originally Posted by KEY08
My guess would still be that the other strut is leaking. You don't see too many air spring failures, but it is always possible.
The passenger side rear strut was replaced six months ago and the mechanic cannot see any sign of leaks from either strut.

I left the car with mechanic for one week, and it was fine each morning except one in which it was low in back. Mechanic cannot locate any leaks. When I had the two struts replaced, he was able to diagnosis immediately. He doesn’t think the problem is the struts. He has access to Mercedes Dealer problem data base and he says there are some cases where the rear spring/air bags have been replaced and that fixed issue, but since he cannot detect any leaks or codes relating to this issue, he is only 95% sure this is the problem.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Well it doesn't sound like your mechanic is certain that will fix the problem. I'd be hesitant to go with his recommendation cause i wouldn't be too happy spending almost 3k and still have the same issue. How's the weather there? I've read somewhere that if there's condensation in the lines and it freezes there is some sort of relief valve in the system that opens and releases the air? Other than that, good luck.

Aaron