E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Electric Mirrors and Battery issues! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Electric Mirrors and Battery issues! Help!

I have a 2003 E320 and lately I have been getting a notification in the gauge cluster that says something along the lines of Convenience functions temporarily disabled.

I recently replaced the small battery in the engine bay with a brand new battery because I was getting a red screen that showed a picture of a battery and said service workshop. That went away when I put the new battery in but now I'm getting this new message. Anyone know why?

My mirror adjustment buttons don't work for some reason. The mirrors work because every now and again the passenger side mirror will move on its own when I put it in reverse.

Could this be something as simple as a fuse that's blown or what?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
The Main Battery's Voltage IS Low,Way Less Than 12V Usually, The Car Shuts Off All Electronics To Save Battery, Then When The Main Battery Recharges Again Everything Should Work Normally, Sometimes The Seats Don't Move, Sometimes It's The AC That Refuses To Blow Cold Or Hot Air.
To Check The voltage, put the SmartKey and turn it once, the SRS light should show, press the reset button three times, you should be able to see the voltage. PS: for that to work you should set the screen to display the speed.
Don't worry, take it for a drive, a long one, to allow the battery to recharge.
The small battery is only related to the SBC brakes and for voltage regulation, it doesn't power anything else than the SBC system.
Hope That Helped !
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM

2003 E320
Thanks for that info. I just went outside and checked it.

Voltage was 12.5 with the car off and the key turned once
Voltage was 14.2-14.5 give or take with the car on.

I don't think a low battery is my problem as both those voltage levels seem normal
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Low Voltage is out of the equation then, a fuse might be the problem then, that's kind of odd though, you didn't change the main battery, no reason for electrical stuff to stop working :\
Old 11-10-2011, 06:48 PM

2003 E320
Its extremely odd and the notification on the cluster only pops up intermittently.

I will check the fuses when I get home from work and see if any are bad.

Also, The headlights and interior lights have a candle effect going on sometimes. I was told that because I added HIDs to the system it does this but Its odd that the interior lights and parking lights have the candle flickering effect thing happening.

Could it be the voltage stabilizer going bad or already bad?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
There's definitely something wrong with your electrical system, voltage is not being stabilized correctly or you may have worn out or loose wires(very slim chance), check the fuses and report back. Just curious, what is the outside temp when you operate the vehicle ?
If You installed far more powerful HIDs then they may be draining too much Voltage from the battery, does the flickering occur when the HIDs are off ?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 AM

2003 E320
Temp is in the mid 70s. I'm in Phoenix arizona. Didn't see any wires that were messed up and I installed the new 08' style head lights and the Hids are the ones that came with the head lights