Midcity engineering VideoInMotion + Camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bmw
Midcity engineering VideoInMotion + Camera

Hi
Does anyone here have experience with installing the Midcity Engineering VIM module + camera for 2009 E350.

I had installed it for C300 a few years ago and it was pretty straight foward. This time however I would like to add the camera as well.

I spoke to them and they don't offer instructions on how to run the wires from the camera. I am concerned about what I need to open to get them from the trunk to the inside of the car.

If anyone here has done it successfully, can you please share your experience, screen shots would be an added plus.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We do offer instructions with our kit... if interested.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 AM

bmw
Originally Posted by Cartronics
We do offer instructions with our kit... if interested.
Yes i am. But a few question before I go ahead with it.

So I am on the fence between which unit to get, Midcity VIM or Cartronics.

My car is E350 2009 with DVD + Nav unit from factory.
Here is what I am looking for
  • Unlock the DVD so that it plays video while driving
  • Add a backup camera
  • Play video/audio from the iphone4 on the NAV screen. (optional)
Here are the pros and cons for each , feel free to elaborate correct me if needed.

Midcity VIM
Unit I will need is VIM211k - $649

This includes DVD unlock plus backup camera
Pros
  • I've installed a similar unit without the backupcamera in my C300 and it worked well and install was clean and simple.
  • Instructions were very clear on how to install the unit behind the command.
  • Operation is integrated into the steering wheel buttons.
  • Price is less than the Cartronics iTronic solution.
Cons
  • If I switch to Navigation mode while DVD is playing while driving the NAV doesn't update.
  • No instruction on how to install the camera and run the cables from the trunk of the car to the front.
  • Have to drill into the back of the trunk to install the camera, the cartronics oem cam doesn't need any drilling.
  • Unit only has one input, so if backup camera is installed iphone input can't be used.

Cartronics
Unit I will need is Ironics with backup camera - $889
To unlock DVD while driving I will need DVD UNLOCK - $299

Pros
  • Unit has 4 inputs so much more flexible than the Midcity
  • Feedback on camera is very good plus it can be mounted without drilling
  • Instructions include how to run cable from trunk to front of car
Cons
  • Not sure if Itronic handles audio as well or if I will need addtional unit to handle audio for playing from iphone
  • Total solution is much more expensive than Midcity
  • Not sure if with DVD unlock Navigation will work while driving and switching between NAV and DVD Video.

Please feel free to respond, any info/feedback which will help me narrow down which unit to get is much appreciated.

Regards
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I can answer on the DVD unlock... it has no effect on NAV update... NAV works as it should, even while playing a video. Audio comes through your system as your Aux/iPod does now. No audio problems at all.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM

bmw
I can answer on the DVD unlock... it has no effect on NAV update... NAV works as it should, even while playing a video. Audio comes through your system as your Aux/iPod does now. No audio problems at all.
So for the iphone, i would just plug it into the iphone cable that came factory installed in the glove compartment for audio, where will the RCA input connect to in the iphone.

How is the intronics unit controlled. Is it also through the steering wheel control ?

Lastly is it possible for me to see the instructions before I buy? My local dealership is asking $700 for the installation of just the camera and VIM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

WOW - that is steep!!! We charge $349 for reference....

The manuals are printed - so can't send them via email. Apple products require the Apple Composite Video cable to output video. So that just gets plugged into the vim and the car audio (other end to the iPhone obviously). We generally put this cable in the center arm rest.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 PM

bmw
WOW - that is steep!!! We charge $349 for reference....

The manuals are printed - so can't send them via email. Apple products require the Apple Composite Video cable to output video. So that just gets plugged into the vim and the car audio (other end to the iPhone obviously). We generally put this cable in the center arm rest.
Can you recommend someone in the northern NJ area. Around zip 07660
Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is our standard policy to find an installer for anyone that asks when they order products from us. We sell quite a bit of product in your area and we will call the most recent clients to get recommendations on who they used. We used to post a list on our site, but found out that was actually a disservice to our clients. The quality of installers changes over time, and we are concerned with our clients experience. These posts last forever too, and if I posted someone here that I was aware of....maybe 2 years from now they will stink. Therefore, we will call recent clients and find out who they used, if they liked the service they received and pass that information on to you. Whenever you order, just ask on the phone, or send an email if you order online. Because this service takes a great deal of a researchers time (typically 1 - 2 hours), we do not offer it until after a purchase has been made.