Keyless Go range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Keyless Go range

I've got a question concerning the Keyless Go range. My garage is right underneath the entrance to my house. It is at this place that I would normally keep my keys. The key would be kept at a place that would essentially be about 8 or so feet from the front of the car. My concern is that if I leave the key at this point, and get Keyless Go, will this possibly mean that someone could get in to my garage and drive away with the car if the range is long enough?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
Keyless go is only range for 2-3 feet and it doesn't work guaranteed more than 5 feet.. so if you keep your key more than 5 feet you don't have to worry about it. Get keyless go, it's the most coolest options you can get in MB
Old 06-16-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by sf49ers79
Keyless go is only range for 2-3 feet and it doesn't work guaranteed more than 5 feet.. so if you keep your key more than 5 feet you don't have to worry about it. Get keyless go, it's the most coolest options you can get in MB
i agree with sf, it is the best option, it isnt usefull like the others, but it is much cooler. also, like sf said, it is only 2-3 feet range. and, if it is 2 feet away, and they just get in the car, they need the key in the car to start, or to do anything, thry can only use the radio. so it wouldnt be a problem. let me also add, you said that it is 8 feet away from the front of the car. when you use keylessgo, the key has to be 3 feet away from the door you want to open. so if i had the keys at the front of the car, like hanging from the mb emblem, i believe no door would open.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:18 PM

another keyless go info:

the key has to be inside the car in order to START the engine. while the car is started and you take the key out, the car will be operative until the ignition is stopped OR for about 15 miles. i have no tested the 15 mile part.

this is one of the best options on the car.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:20 PM

i've also heard that the s class will not even have a key slot at all on upcoming models. keyless go will be standard. i would imagine the e class will follow this in a few more years.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by bmw2mb
i've also heard that the s class will not even have a key slot at all on upcoming models. keyless go will be standard. i would imagine the e class will follow this in a few more years.
i think they should have a slot, because, my bro doesnt like driving with keylessgo, he says he doesnt need all this fany pancy stuff:p but i have heard the S will have a finger print type of starter, that will be cool
Old 06-17-2003, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Thanks for your help. Well, I decided against it, as I was adding so many options, you have to stop somewhere!

At my dealer, a Maybach was in the showroom, and I was talking to the guy who has the job of driving the Maybach around to different dealerships around the US. And, the way that the Keyless Go works in the Maybach is that you can keep on driving it until you shut it off, even when the key/card is no where in range. He was very careful to make sure that he was standing far enough away so that no one could start the car.

And yes, the Maybach is AWESOME!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
The car can be driven away without the key for all keyless go. For the one built in the key (not sure about the card), the interior zone at which the start button works begins right at the window. Even if the window is open, the window plane is very precise in distinguishing outside from inside. Once the car is started with the key inside, the key can be taken outside, and the car can be driven away without it with no set distance. once the car is shut off however, it can't be started again w/o that key

ernie
Old 06-17-2003, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by anerbe
The car can be driven away without the key for all keyless go. For the one built in the key (not sure about the card), the interior zone at which the start button works begins right at the window. Even if the window is open, the window plane is very precise in distinguishing outside from inside. Once the car is started with the key inside, the key can be taken outside, and the car can be driven away without it with no set distance. once the car is shut off however, it can't be started again w/o that key

ernie
well, if i have my keys in my pocket, and i get it, and my dad dries it, it says a message, key not recognized, and i thought it turns on limp? mode or something, never tried it