E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Removing Fogs and Installing DRL's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 W212 | 2016 W205
Removing Fogs and Installing DRL's?

I'm seeing all these new cars coming out with stock DRLS installed and its making me jealous.

So i was considering removing the W211 Foglights and retrofitting some Aftermarket DRL's to where the fogs usually sit.

I would have to purchase some black mesh and some fitted DRL's to fabricate something up.

Has anybody done anything like this before. I was thinking of having the DRL's wired to the existing foglight switch so i still have some control on/off if needed.

Heres a picture of the new SLK with its DRL's in the foglight location.

I have the E55 bodykit so theres a rather large gap that can be filled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTIME-RUNN...ht_7965wt_1144
Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 AM

2008 E550
I've been looking into this and thinking about this for a little while now.. I think the DRL look is one thing if you want LED DRL's, which is how Audi and other companies have done it. They still leave driving/fog lights in tact.. while audi has replaced a functional H11 (fairly powerful, HID upgradable) light / bulb with a POS LED that just looks cool. I kind of dislike how the new models have given up a functional light to add the new and cool LED. If you are going to replace/give up a functional bulb to throw on some POS $8 LED, I'd say skip. If you want to add additional LED or DRL light, try and find something you like but it will be unique and custom most likely.

The Hockey Stick LED's are already out of style(even MB has a OEM part number upgrade kit).. so you would want to do a 5/9 LED strip.. the neatest newest one I've seen has white/yellow bulbs and turns yellow with the turn signals, which no oem does.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 AM

2012 W212 | 2016 W205
I live in Australia, we rarely get any fog where i live and I think i've used the Fog lamps about once, so i don't really have an issue with removing them.

I just think that if you leave the fog lights on and add some DRL's to the Left or ontop they don't look like they are supposed to be there.

It's a good idea about the indicator DRL's they could look rather nice.

I've seen some people on here have tried installing DRL's on the inner grill down the bottom but i dont believe they look that great (no offence to anybody who has done it)

I was thinking it maybe possible to purchase smaller DRL's and integrate them into the bumpers somehow. However i don't really want to experiment with my OEM 55 bumpers

Another option would be purchasing some aftermarket W211 headlights which either have the DRL's built in around the headlight or i've even seen some with a small halo which sits around the projector. However i don't really want to sub out my OEM headlights for cheap aftermarket copies.

I've got an engineering company, so i could get one of my engineers to do up some designs and then put some prototypes into production that could be made to fit perfectly in the right and left mesh areas however that will take a little time.

The tuning company Carlsson make some inserts with DRL's for their bodykits. Just need a Carlsson bodykit first! haha

Maybe something like this..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/03-06-Ben...ht_9769wt_1378

Last edited by willy_manilly; 12-25-2011 at 01:54 AM.