"A/C Off" Still Seems To Be On??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
"A/C Off" Still Seems To Be On??

Hello All,

Wondering whether anyone has had any success in getting the A/C to actually turn off using the "AC OFF" button (E500)? The vents still seem to blow cold air, much colder than the outside temp.

Also, the car seems to let me select both front "auto" buttons even though "AC OFF" is activated. My old MB would cancel out the "EC" mode the minute I hit the auto button. Now I'm starting to wonder whether the AC is ever off, short of pushing the "o" button.

Anyone have this experience?

Thanks and regards, Jerry

P.S. - appreciated all the great comments regarding the "black" color choice from a previous post. It's growing on me. Still really like the Tectite, Brilliant Silver, Pewter, and just about everything else in the color palette.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:16 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Jerry: A/C off does turn off your compressor if the unit has been running awhile, but it seems that on startup the compressor always runs for a brief period (minutes) to dehimidify the air and help prevent fogging. My '98 worked as you expected, off was off. My 2001 C Class worked like my '03 E320--the A/C is on after startup for awhile. If you leave the A/C off button engaged for a longer period, you should see ambient air. I believe my standard air works in the same manner as your 4-zone in this regard.

It also does some overrides of the Recirc button, based upon time and temperature, to preclude CO poisoning and window fogging, I guess. 'Lots of software
Old 06-23-2003, 09:46 AM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
Yeah, my car does the same thing. The A/C runs for several minutes when I first start the car, even when the "A/C Off" switch is engaged.

I don't know why this is for sure, but I can think of a couple of good reasons. One is the reason mentioned by jim256- to dehumidify the air and prevent fogging. Another is to make sure the A/C compresssor is run regularly. A/C compressors need to be run regularly to keep their seals lubricated- I know of plenty of cars that run the A/C compressor briefly when the car is first started, even when the A/C is cut off (and even in winter!!).

So, this appears to be normal.

-RAI
Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM

2003 E500
A/C Off flashes when trying to turn on.

Does anyone know whether the A/C Off flashes when I try to turn the A/C on? My car overheated last week do to a drive belt that broke. Any remedies?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
brm

2008 E350 Sport
Thanks for this info. I was wondering why my vents blow cold when I first start the car, even with the A/C off. I was worried that the climate control system was on the way out.