few questions about my CANADIAN e320 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
few questions about my CANADIAN e320 4matic

so i bought my 2nd w211. this ones a downgrade from my e500 sport 04 =(
but anyways i need it for the ****ty road conditions in ontario over the winter. so a couple of questions. this one has about 148000kms on it and she only [apparently] needs new rotors which i do believe is true. i drove during a snow storm and the tsc light would come on when during regular braking and i could feel it was front traction i was losing. anyways some questions and concerns I hope people can help me address:

1] the car can be turned on / off / acc mode via the shift knob (shouldnt i be able to also start the car via the key? and shouldnt the doors also open when i approach the car? the door handles have those small square black buttons on them.. this means keyless go right? the chrome button on my shift knob has a circle going clockwise and one with a giant X through it. what the hell is that? shouldn't it say engine start / stop like the manual shows?

2] some knock type sound occurs when i go over a bump or incline from front shocks im guessing? or struts? this car doesn't have airmatic like my e500 did but that would also make some noise from the front 2 shocks every time i got onto my driveway and off it.... what gives with that issue?

3] there is a weird noise i heard coming from the vents - its like a screeching - it has only happened once at high fan settings - what could that be?

4] im going with rotors / brake discs by Winhere - i dont know who they are but their bloody cheap at 61$ for a pair of front rotors - see attachment plz

5] thank you and your feedback is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails few questions about my CANADIAN e320 4matic-capture111.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
To start the car your foot must be on the brake when you press the button the shift knob.
The symbols of the circle and the "X" are international symbols for start/stop of the engine. This is without a doubt to comply with the La charte de la langue française in Quebec, as USA market cars have the words ENGINE START STOP on the button. Similarly your instrument cluster will have the international symbols for Check Engine (usually the outline of an engine sometimes with a lighting bolt through it) and Brake failure (usually a circle with a '!' inside of it and two half circles on each side of it). In the USA, the words "BRAKE" and "CHECK ENGINE" are mandated by law, rather than the symbol.

The doors do not open or unlock automatically when your approach. You must pull a door handle to unlock and open the door. When you unlock the car in this way, the act of pulling the outside door handle activates the pull switch on the inside of it - the doors unlock, and the door release motor activates to quickly unlatch the door. These door release motor only functions during the initial unlock.

Cheer up though, as your car has features that USA cars do not have, like a "REST" Button on the climate control, and center diffuser vents.

Originally Posted by strider-g3
1] the car can be turned on / off / acc mode via the shift knob (shouldnt i be able to also start the car via the key? and shouldnt the doors also open when i approach the car? the door handles have those small square black buttons on them.. this means keyless go right? the chrome button on my shift knob has a circle going clockwise and one with a giant X through it. what the hell is that? shouldn't it say engine start / stop like the manual shows?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
yeah the doors open up when i use the back doors only.
anyways got the rotors changed today. i need tires.
the previous owner has it sitting on 4 different tires all around.
awkward.... <_<

also my check engine oil level thing never goes away.
and my check coolant level comes on in the mornings i guess because driveway is on an incline.
maybe i have to top it off? should i drain all the old stuff before putting in new stuff?
and does brake fluid need replacing when you change the front rotors?
and how much labor should i be charged for to replace a lower front ball joint for 4matic w211?
let me know guys
thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
Originally Posted by strider-g3
so i bought my 2nd w211. this ones a downgrade from my e500 sport 04 =(
but anyways i need it for the ****ty road conditions in ontario over the winter. so a couple of questions. this one has about 148000kms on it and she only [apparently] needs new rotors which i do believe is true. i drove during a snow storm and the tsc light would come on when during regular braking and i could feel it was front traction i was losing. anyways some questions and concerns I hope people can help me address:

2] some knock type sound occurs when i go over a bump or incline from front shocks im guessing? or struts? this car doesn't have airmatic like my e500 did but that would also make some noise from the front 2 shocks every time i got onto my driveway and off it.... what gives with that issue?

3] there is a weird noise i heard coming from the vents - its like a screeching - it has only happened once at high fan settings - what could that be?

4] im going with rotors / brake discs by Winhere - i dont know who they are but their bloody cheap at 61$ for a pair of front rotors - see attachment plz

5] thank you and your feedback is much appreciated!
Clunking sound sound over bumps - check cv joints, known fail item. If good, then yes might be ball joints or more likely worn upper strut bushings.

HTH,

Smash
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
The noise from the air vents

Take a look at this thread, and/or search for "fan noise".
The fan motor may need replacing. It is behind the glove compartment.

If it's only squealed once, I'd leave it alone until it squeals more.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e-control.html
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Your brake fluid question.....

Technically, you can change the brake rotors without necessarily replacing the brake fluid or even bleeding it a little if you take care. But the fluid should be replaced every two years or so, and if you don't know when it was last done, a disc change is going to be the cheapest time to get it done.

As an aside, I presume your tech. will know to at least unplug or turn off the SBC brake unit before they play with the brakes. They could end up with long, skinny, red fingers if they don't... (crushed fingers, or a caliper that pops its piston further out than they anticipated). There is a sticky about SBC units and such if you don't know what I am talking about. Ideally, whoever does the brake work will have the Mercedes computer & software for maintaining the SBC so that they can bleed the brakes fully.