Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG 2004
Exclamation Please help

I have E55 AMG W211 2004

Please help, I have a problem with a leak in the transmission ... When I press the gas pedal strongly on the speed of 40 km I have a leak and get through the mirror I see smoke coming out of the bottom of the car I do not know what is the reason when you look at the bottom of the car and found that there is oil .. I'm sure that the source of transmission .... Please advise on this subject.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
Can't say for sure what is causing this, you should probably have the dealership or a good independent look at this.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 F-150, 1976 912E, 2006 E500 Wagon
Are you sure that it is not engine oil?

Leaks from the valve/cam covers are very common on these models.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
You need a fluid source and a heat source...

You need a combustible fluid source (ATF or engine oil) and a heat source to get your problem (smoke). You need to figure out which combination this is. Or take it to someone who can, as has been suggested.

There are two mostly likely sources of heat: (a) the engine combustion chambers or (b) an exhaust pipe or manifold

Is the smoke coming from out of the exhaust pipe (if so, which one) or from somewhere under the car and coming out the back simply because the car is moving forward leaving it behind?

If the fluid is automatic transmission fluid (ATF), then it is maybe possible for it to get into the combustion chamber, but more likely that your transmission pilot bushing (Part No. A2035400253, only about US$7) on the front right of the 722.6 5-speed transmission is leaking ATF. The pilot bushing is basically a plug on the outside of the transmission to which an electrical harness connects. It has some "O" rings that are not always that good at keeping the ATF in the transmission. (You have an E55 amg, which I believe has this 722.6 transmission type in common with the E320.)

Two problems with this theory:
1) Whilst the pilot bushing is notorious for leaking, it is not likely to be spewing gallons of ATF. More a slow drip or moist with fluid around it. How much smoke is there ?
2) It would need to be dripping onto the exhaust to get heated up to create the smoke. I am not familiar with how close the r.h. exhaust on an E55 AMG is to the transmission for it to be dripping onto the exhaust.

Again, first step: Is the smoke coming from the exhaust pipe? If it is, I would focus on the engine and engine oil. The color of the smoke may help determine the fluid. ATF may be a whitish smoke. Engine oil smoke will probably be blacker. But if there's water in the engine oil, well......
Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
probably the transmission connector if its leaking ATF. Very common item.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 AM

E55 AMG 2004
Originally Posted by ozusa
You need a combustible fluid source (ATF or engine oil) and a heat source to get your problem (smoke). You need to figure out which combination this is. Or take it to someone who can, as has been suggested.

There are two mostly likely sources of heat: (a) the engine combustion chambers or (b) an exhaust pipe or manifold

Is the smoke coming from out of the exhaust pipe (if so, which one) or from somewhere under the car and coming out the back simply because the car is moving forward leaving it behind?

If the fluid is automatic transmission fluid (ATF), then it is maybe possible for it to get into the combustion chamber, but more likely that your transmission pilot bushing (Part No. A2035400253, only about US$7) on the front right of the 722.6 5-speed transmission is leaking ATF. The pilot bushing is basically a plug on the outside of the transmission to which an electrical harness connects. It has some "O" rings that are not always that good at keeping the ATF in the transmission. (You have an E55 amg, which I believe has this 722.6 transmission type in common with the E320.)

Two problems with this theory:
1) Whilst the pilot bushing is notorious for leaking, it is not likely to be spewing gallons of ATF. More a slow drip or moist with fluid around it. How much smoke is there ?
2) It would need to be dripping onto the exhaust to get heated up to create the smoke. I am not familiar with how close the r.h. exhaust on an E55 AMG is to the transmission for it to be dripping onto the exhaust.

Again, first step: Is the smoke coming from the exhaust pipe? If it is, I would focus on the engine and engine oil. The color of the smoke may help determine the fluid. ATF may be a whitish smoke. Engine oil smoke will probably be blacker. But if there's water in the engine oil, well......

Do not ... Has been confirmed that the oil was coming out from the bottom of the car and not from the engine has resulted in smoke because of the hot exhaust and oil touching him.