E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Attention ALL Estate car owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Attention ALL Estate car owners

I have just been in contact with the technical Department of Mercedes-Benz in Maastricht regarding an issue with the fuel filler flap on the estate car.

If this flap fails to automatically unlock access can be gained to the relevant mechanism by taking off the relevant interior panel. For those of us that drive on the correct side of the road it is the off-side rear interior panel

After poking your head into the innards of the car you will see a small metal 'key' which you turn to unlock the flap and gain access to the filler cap.. Here is hopefully a picture including the part number:

Mercedes-Benz for reasons they refuse to explain have now standardised this part and there is no longer a 'key' to unlock the fuel flap??

This will not effect the saloon as they have a different and easier method of gaining access to the filler cap. It also does not apply to the new E-class estate the 212. If we are low on fuel and that flap refuses to open then we are well and truly screwed. Has this part failed? On my car it has failed twice, the first time Mobilio break-down went out to the garage and rescued my wife, the next time it happened I managed to take off the panel and turn the key.

If it fails again Mercedes-Benz technical department have informed me we will have to call out Mercedes-Benz Break-Down who will then have to take whatever action they deem necessary!! I obviously asked about what would happen if this happened on a Friday or Saturday evening when a replacement part might not be available and most important who would pay the bills?

The answer I received was that Mobilio would cover all costs!! Fine if you are covered but not so clever if you aren't.

My thoughts on this is that Merecedes-Benz are looking at ways of saving money and are standardising as many parts as possible. No one realised the implications of removing that key and those of us with estate cars will eventually end up with cars that you cannot refuel!!

Please note that the original part has the key, it only gets replaced the next time you complain about the fuel flap not opening. You then get EXACTLY the same part numbered item but without the means to manually unlock the flap.

Check your manual to see what I am rambling on about
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
We had a new servo fitted just prior to writing this message and now just a few weeks later my wife was out in our car, she went to refuel our vehicle and could not open the flap to remove the fuel cap..

Thankfully there was enough fuel in the car to allow her to get back home and I immediately called out Mercedes-Benz as there is NO WAY of opening that flap.

It took three hours for the breakdown service to arrive they then had to remove the complete servo system that is responsible for locking that flap...

Madness or what, we buy a car with a basic feature and if this item ever braeks down then Mercedes-Benz remove it, they do not tell you and then if this replacement part fails you CANNOT put fuel into your vehicle!!! No way can you open that flap

This is the offending servo and note that silver key... It is no longer fitted