E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wheel Brush recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
Wheel Brush recommendation?

I'm not asking this in the Detailing section because it's more specific to the model than the mode but if the mods wish to move it I'll understand.

Anyway I have an 08 E350 with the Sports pkg. and consequently have the wheels that alternate between wide and extremely narrow spokes. I've got a wheel brush now that I got at Auto Zone or something and it's fine but wearing out quick now that I'm jamming it in between those narrow spokes and the handle fell of so I'm in the need for a new wheel brush. Any suggestions? Decent quality and the ability to clean these Sport wheels are a must.

I look and the Daytona Speed Master seems highly recommended but from the pictures it looks like it might be too wide.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
a better wheel cleaner will do the trick and you won't have to work your brush as hard. Order a wire wheel brush (i buy my supplies from rightlook.com or sparkleauto.com) because it's narrower at one end and get the meguiars "detailer" wheel brightener. Just don't use it on polished wheels, but it's fine for painted wheels. Spray it on, count to 10, quick light brushing and hit it with a high pressure blast of water. Either through a garden hose or preferably a pressure washer.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by crawdad62
I'm not asking this in the Detailing section because it's more specific to the model than the mode but if the mods wish to move it I'll understand.

Anyway I have an 08 E350 with the Sports pkg. and consequently have the wheels that alternate between wide and extremely narrow spokes. I've got a wheel brush now that I got at Auto Zone or something and it's fine but wearing out quick now that I'm jamming it in between those narrow spokes and the handle fell of so I'm in the need for a new wheel brush. Any suggestions? Decent quality and the ability to clean these Sport wheels are a must.

I look and the Daytona Speed Master seems highly recommended but from the pictures it looks like it might be too wide.
For wheel cleaning, I use a normal sponge from AutoZone along with their nylon brush and tire brush, and an EZ Detail Brush, the same thing as the Daytona brush but with a slightly weaker shaft. The shaft is narrow and the bristles get softer as they get used more or if they are dipped in warm water, so don't worry too much about tight areas. I used them in applications when there is little space for it, like cleaning 17" wheels on an S500 where there is only about an inch of room between the rim and rotor. Key is if it doesn't go in at all, don't force it in.

However if I was you, I would get a good wheel cleaner along with some good brushes; I admit the AutoZone brushes are a bit stiff and if you aren't careful, you may swirl the wheels if the clearcoat is in good condition.

I use an acidic wheel cleaner for baked on brake dust called Meguiars Wheel Brigtener (pH 5.5 - avoid use on aluminum/uncoated wheels and don't leave it on for too long), but if you are bit afraid to use it, I suggest the much more expensive Sonax or P21S gel cleaner. But if they are out of your budget, buy some Optimum No Rinse as it cleans very well, plus it can be used for wash applications as well while saving water. Rinseless washing is weird at first, but is faster once you are used to it.

If you do wash your car often (once a week) without a lot of brake dust, soap and water or Optimum No Rinse should be fine with the following brushes:

I would buy a Daytona or EZ Detail brush (maybe a mini one as well if you are afraid of those tight areas for behind the spokes. I would also buy for the face a Swissvax brush and a Mothers Face Wheel brush, and a Tuf Shine Tire brush. You could substitute a sponge for the face brushes.

Sonax in action:

P21S in action:

ONR in action:
and

Meguiars Wheel Brightener:

Last edited by CarboyS; 03-09-2012 at 12:17 AM.