E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Production Process

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Production Process

(I'm on a posting kick... SOMEBODY STOP ME! ;-)

I got word that my car was "built" or at least started on 6/24.. but I guess the confirmation VIN# came down the 27th.

How are the cars actually "built?" Are they done completely in 1 day.. or are they spread out (various systems/components) over several days)?? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks
Peter
Old 07-01-2003, 04:24 PM

'03 E320 CDI Avantgarde '00 Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6 16v (wife).
3 days

My car began to be built April 8th, the 10th (the date that figures in the car´s documentation) it leaved factory, 14th arrived at the dealer and 16th I was driving it.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:17 PM

2012 CL550
I toured the factory in Sindelfingen two years ago. Of course, we didn't see the whole thing, but I would guess most cars are assembeled in one day. I also don't know much about just-in-time delivery, but would assume that some parts are manufactured elsewhere, shipped to the assembly factory at the right moment, then installed in the car. They show a video before the tour and that's how I understand the process. Perhaps there are others here that know more about this than I that could explain.

Overall, it's an absolutely fascinating process. The factory is spotlessly clean and there weren't as many people involved in the process as I expected. Robots did much of the work in what I would consider almost ballet fashion. It's amazing what they do and the effort they remove from us mistake-prone humans. The best part is seeing the chassis/engine unit married to the body. They come down the assembly line on two separate "tracks" then merge together as one and are fastened by workers. To me, that's the birth of the car.

If you ever get a chance to visit the factory I highly recommend it. You will have a new appreciation of what went into the making of your car and can see it from the inside out.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the video clips of the assembly process on the E class DVD I got at the EMotion event are very slick...
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

I know the general manager where I got my '03 E320... He also toured the factory and saw the entire process... The cars are built in 1 1/2 days... Not in batches (like all E's, then C's, etc)... Instead they come down the line in the same order they are entered into the system... Pretty cool...

i just returned from the dealership. My replacement car with NAV arrived in Baltimore today which I hope to pick up next week. Mercedes requires the dealers to appraise the returning cars before taking delivery of the new ones... Just an FYI for those of you waiting...
Old 07-02-2003, 12:16 AM

2003 E500
Yes. I was notified by my salesman yesterday they need to "appraise" my car since MB will give them credit on my return car. Looks like the dealers aren't losing much if at all in this deal?